I Have Multiple Personal Folders in Outlook 2003 When I Only Want One

I have 3 Personal Folders listed to the left in the Folders pane. 1) gx41's Personal Folders; 2) gx41's Personal Folders (this is an exact duplicate of 1)); 3) Personal Folders. I would like to have only one. When I right-click on "Personal Folders" and select Close "Personal Folders" to permanently delete it, I get the error message from Outlook: "The operation failed. An object cannot be found.". When I right-click on either of the two "gx41's Personal Folders" the option to Close "Personal Folders" is grayed out so I cannot delete either of these. If I click on File>Data File Management, only "gx41's Personal Folders" appears in the list. When I open it, I am directed to an outlook.pst file. I am assuming (?) that this outlook.pst file contains all 1)- 3) above, but I do not know.

When I do the following from Outlook Help:

"Remove a duplicate Personal Folders file:

Note Removing the duplicate Personal Folders folder removes the folder from the Folder List, but it doesn't delete the .pst file itself. The .pst file remains on your hard disk.

Right-click the Personal Folders folder that you want to remove, and then click Close "Personal Folders".

Note If the Close "Personal Folders" command is not available, you are trying to remove the .pst file that is currently set as the default delivery location [I APPEAR TO HAVE TWO OF THESE], which can't be removed.To remove the folder from the Folder List, you must first change the delivery location.

How?

On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.

Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.

In the Deliver new e-mail to the following location list, select where you want new messages delivered.

If you didn't specify a custom display name for your .pst file, you might see two entries for Personal Folders files. Select the one that is not highlighted. When you click the arrow to show the list of files, click the second Personal Folders entry in the list. [I HAVE 1) - 3) ALL LISTED IN THE ORDER: PERSONAL FOLDERS, gx41's PERSONAL FOLDERS & gx41's PERSONAL FOLDERS. THE FIRST "gx41's PERSONAL FOLDERS" IS HIGHLIGHTED. (IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LIST OF THE THREE ITEMS).]

Click Finish.

Exit and then restart Outlook."

HOW CAN I DELETE PERMANENTLY ONE OF THE "gx41's PERSONAL FOLDERS" AND "PERSONAL FOLDERS" LEAVING ONLY ONE COPY OF "gx41's PERSONAL FOLDERS" (IDEALLY I WOULD LIKE THE TWO OF THEM ELIMINATED ALSO FROM MY OUTLOOK.PST FILE SO THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN.)? (OBVIOUSLY I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ANY OF THE INFORMATION/FILES/DATA IN "gx41's PERSONAL FOLDERS".)

THANKS VERY MUCH!

Thanks, gx41

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2018 Views 8,907 Applies to:
Answer

This duplication and addition errors happen when you somehow have damaged your mail profile. Often this happen by overwriting or deleting pst-file while they were still linked to Outlook.

In order to recover you'll have to recreate your mail profile via the Mail applet in Control Panel. For step-by-step instructions see;
Adding/Recreating a Mail Profile

A method you can try without the need to recreate your mail profile is by using a tool calledCodeTwo PST Ghostbuster. If it fails, you'd still have to recreate your mail profile.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.