How can limit outlook to downloading emails form a certain time and not to download all the emails available?

My Gmail account is almost 6 years old and i have thousands of emails on it. When I created the imap gmail account on ms outlook. It started send/receive all the emails on my gmail. I want it to only download emails starting this year not before. How can I set this time range on ms outlook.

Thanks
Answer
Answer

IMAP account does not download email from the server into outlook. IMAP account creates a mirror image of your folders in the server.

You can do the below steps and see if it helps.

1. Login to your Gmail account.

2. Create a new folder and move all the old emails (Except the recent email which you want) from Inbox the new folder created.

3. Remove the IMAP account created in outlook and setup the gmail account as a POP3 account.

4. This will download only recent and the new emails that come in to the server.

Note:

1. Setting the account as a POP3 account will only download the emails from the Inbox folder in the server. Other folders would not be synchronized.

2. POP3 account will permanently download all email from the server and there would not copy of the email like IMAP account. To avoid this, the option 'Leave a copy of email in the server' has to be enabled.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 31, 2024 Views 30,068 Applies to: