General Failure, Class not registered

On my 32 bit machine runing Windows 7, Outlook 2010, I suddenly cannot click on links in emails succesfully. The error message is "General failure. URL was: "[whatever]". Class not registered." 

I ran SFC Scan with no problems revealed and no improvement. Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2018 Views 38,677 Applies to:
Answer

Tried all the fixes. Stuck with this issue now.

Started with update install of IE 10 which would not allow anything to download.

Uninstalled IE 10, then IE 9 wouldn't download. Deleted temp files, reset IE, made sure it was default browser, ran Fixit to stablize IE, defragged, chkdsk, etc, etc, etc. So when I unisatlled IE 10 and got IE 9 back but sysfunctional, then Outlook kept asking for profile and wouldn't accept outlook as the default.

Called MS for the no download issue in IE 9 & 10, and they said I had tried everything they could think of... so, try to fix by reinstalling Windows 7 pro SP1 was suggested.

It took all day to reinstall plus inumerable updates. With the repair install I had IE 8. So I updated to IE 9. Now Outlook 2010 doesn't ask for profile. Yay! IE 9 will download. Yay!

But... Outlook 2010 will not open URL's because of general error URL class not registered. Another problem with no answer. I ran repair install of Office 2010. No help. Tried all the fixes listed here, no help.

Oh, and IE 10 as a solution to fix does not work for me because the windows update install for IE 10 fails every time.

Would love to have some answers... That work...

185 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.