Error 0x800CCC80 "Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error." "The server responded: ."

Basics: Windows 7 Pro; Outlook 2007; AV=BitDefender 2015; ISP AT&T (Yahoo)

Suddenly (like a few days ago), I found myself unable to download any emails from AT&T webmail (no problem getting email from a gmail account!). I could send from the account in Outlook, but receiving generated the subject error. I contacted AT&T, but their response is: if the mail shows at their webmail site, that's as far as their responsibility goes! So, I have tried all the following things:

1. Followed instructions found in several places online to create a new Send/Receive group

2. Compacted outlook.ost

3. Changed AT&T password

4. Ran Full BitDefender system scan and SpyBot full scan. No viruses or malware detected.

5. Ran Norton Registry Cleaner.

6. Downloaded and ran (demo version) of SysTools Outlook (PST) Recovery. However, my Outlook data file is an ost file, not pst, so it wouldn't work.

Am at wit's end. The only things which have occurred recently were updates to iTunes, Firefox, and Apple Application Support. No new software.

Should I be talking to AT&T again? Trying something else on my end?

Have done so, using the demo version (they told me, via chat, that should work) , but that didn't change the outcome. Still can't pull in the email at AT&T webmail, although I can send email out through that account, and get and receive email from accounts at gmail and outlook.com fine. A couple things I failed to mention in the original post: I also ran Repair on Office 2007, tried taking down the firewall and turning AV off, and re-verifed my account settings we as per AT&T instructions.

I've spent last two hours chatting with SysTools and gotten nowhere. The last thing they told me is: "reconnect to the at&t server and start downloading emails again"! After pointing out that was the problem in the first place, they tell me to "reconfigure the AT&T profile". My response was: "Goodbye". I'm going to try to get some help from AT&T again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Any chance you post the entire error message, word for word, just as it appears, please?  I'd very much like to see the rest of the "Server responded" part. While we're at it, does your BitDefender AV include an email scanner add-in? 
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Broadcast Engineer/IT Pro
MVP-Outlook - WA7BGX
www.rolandschorr.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here 'tis -- apostrophes are just where they are -- it's precise!

Task '<Removed email> - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP). The server responded: .'

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BUT...I just read all of your last post, and went into BitDefender. I found a setting: "Scan SSL" Since AT&T uses SSL (Ports 995 and 465), I turned that off and tried again. HOLY COWABUNGA< BUFFALO BOB!

So now the question of the hour is -- was that always off in the past, and somehow got turned on by an update or something? I know I didn't do it!

Sure glad you asked that question! I'm marking this SOLVED!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2022 Views 3,103 Applies to: