Configure exchange account for Outlook.com in Outlook 2016 when autodiscover does not work (when using Primary alias)

Since the recent Outlook.com update we have received emails saying we need to 'reconnect the account'. Since we have various connected accounts (and a primary alias), autodiscover does not work - and there is no way to manually configure an exchange account in Outlook 2016.

Therefore the only way to 'reconnect' the account is to configure it as EAS which is how it is configured in the first place.....

If I change my primary alias back to my @outlook.com account, and configure Outlook 2016 as such, autodiscover works and the account gets correctly configured as an exchange account. Alas, there is no way to change the properties as such, and am then stuck with sending (from Outlook 2016) with my @outlook.com email address.

Seems I am not the only one, as this thread is more or less the same - with no resolve:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/outlookcom-and-eas-move-to-exchange/596b74c6-5b50-41c7-b8c4-9b546811904b

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Marky,

We would like to know some information so we can assist you better. Are you using an account provided by your company?

Keep us posted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No, this is just a normal standard personal @outlook.com account, with two connected accounts (one 1and1 & one gmail).

The 1and1 account is set as the primary alias, hence why when I try to set up the outlook.com account using autodiscover in Outlook 2016 it finds the 1and1 details and not the outlook.com details. I have to manually set up the account in Outlook 2016..... and Outlook 2016 doesn't support manual configuration of an exchange account (so I have to set it up as an EAS account).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In that case you can check out the following links provided and see which works best for you:

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marilou,

The information on the first link is not applicable because I am using a connected account (this is the main issue, as I have proved that the info in the link works if I connect using the @outlook.com account).

As stated, autodiscover DOES NOT WORK because it points towards my 1and1 account (and not the Outlook.com account) due to this being set as my primary alias. Outlook 2016 DOES NOT support manual configuration of an exchange account.

The second link did not work.....

In summary:

• *** Email address is removed for privacy *** (connected account) << this is set up as my primary alias and therefore login as well

autodiscover records for this email account point to 1and1 servers

• *** Email address is removed for privacy *** (connected account)
  • *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Yes, I could connect using the outlook.com account (as autodiscover works correctly for this), however this would leave me stuck with using the @outlook.com email within Outlook 2016.

Kind regards,

Mark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
I think you've replied to the wrong thread.....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apologize for providing irrelevant response. To help you further, have you tried setting up your account via auto account set up and what is the exact error message that you are getting?

Let us know so we can help you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you say auto account set up, I assume you mean entering my email address and password and letting autodiscover work?

As stated in the first post, as I am using a connected account, and this 1and1 email address is set as my primary alias, trying to set up the account 'automatically' results in Outlook 2016 looking for the autodiscover records served by 1and1 (this was shown to a technician yesterday as service request 1369579393).

I am trying to configure my Outlook.com account as an exchange account in Outlook 2016, but without using my @outlook.com as the account details (because then I am stuck sending mail from the @outlook.com address.

Following my exchange yesterday, I was assured that I can continue to use EAS, though I'm not confident that is the case.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So it seems EAS has been disabled now for Outlook on the desktop. Can no longer access mails. If I then re-configure using the @outlook.com as primary I cannot send from connected accounts (properly). What a joke.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Perhaps see this;

Try going to https://account.live.com/names/Manage and on this page make sure you have your main account as the primary account and if any bad or broken aliases remove those.  After that is fixed up then go back into Outlook and try adding the account again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, thanks for the post.

However, as per my original post, if I do this I am stuck and cannot send from my aliases:

'If I change my primary alias back to my @outlook.com account, and configure Outlook 2016 as such, autodiscover works and the account gets correctly configured as an exchange account. Alas, there is no way to change the properties as such, and am then stuck with sending (from Outlook 2016) with my @outlook.com email address'

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 4, 2020 Views 1,514 Applies to: