Can't open any hyperlinks. (This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.)

Hello to everyone. First forum question I ask in my life, so be gentle. 

I  recently installed IE8 and G.Chrome, suddenly, no hyperlinks in Outlook 2007 worked. Tried opening hyperlinks in Word, Excel etc. same problem. I searched various forums looking for answers. This is what they all said more or less.

When clicking on hyperlinks from emails or anywhere else, I get this message; 

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

Cause;

(After you upgrade to Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or to Internet Explorer 7, the following registry key is either missing or corrupted: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command)

Weird, I had installed IE8, not 6 nor 7. This could mean problems persist on all three (3) browser upgrades. But how come it never happened before?

Resolutions found, and applied;

1. Reset internet explorer settings to default. DID NOT WORK.

2. Restore System to earlier date. DID NOT WORK.

3. Power off by pressing power button 10 seconds and then restart, followed by this option (REPAIR COMPUTER to when it was working properly or something.) DID NOT WORK.

4. To resolve this issue, import the registry key from another computer or use registry key supplied here. I did this one last. And this did in fact, DID NOT WORK EITHER.

I followed the on line instructions step by step. Now I’m out of options. 

FYI; Not sure if this helps.

Sony VAIO FZ180E, Vista Ultimate 32bit (Upgraded from premium), CentrinoDuo2.0 4GRam, 4MBCashe, Norton360 2.0, M.Office 2007, what else could I let you know that might help. 

Even though it is not a crippling problem, makes using my P.C. somewhat undesirable. And I really love my P.C. 

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2019 Views 599,923 Applies to:
Answer

Also caused by a documented MSFT bug. Here's the Outlook info and fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.