Cannot start microsoft outlook 2010 Error Message: "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook."

Error Message: "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook."
Microsoft Outlook 2010.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 (32 bit version)

I tried the repair program option from Programs and Features. Exact same problem persisted.
I tried reinstalling the program. Exact same problem persisted.

Right now I can't access my email via Outlook.
Right now I can't access my contacts list.

Answer
Answer

Follow the steps below and check if it helps:

1.       Reboot into Safe Mode. Do this by holding the F8 key down while the machine restarts.

2.       Open the Run dialog by using the Windows-R keystroke combination.

3.       Type “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MLCFG32.CPL” (without the quotes). It is worth noting that I had to try both Program Files and Program Files (x86) to find the MLCFG32.CPL file.

4.       In the resulting Mail control panel applet, look to see where your PST file is located.

5.       Reboot to leave Safe Mode

6.       Make a copy of the corrupted PST file, this is critical if you are using POP3 to get your mail. The PST locates your mail on your machine. If you delete this file you’ll lose all your mail.

7.       Delete the corrupted PST file.

8.       Start Outlook and when prompted, create a new profile. If you are using IMAP your account information should be there and your mail should start working again. If you are using POP you’ll have to import mail from the old profile that you copied in step 6.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 2,158 Applies to: