The message store has reached its maximum size.

I am using a IMAP exchange for Gmail account on Office 365

Getting message - 

The message store has reached its maximum size.  To reduce the amount of date in this message store, select some items that you no longer need, and permanently (SHIFT + DEL) delete them.

When I try and delete items it will not allow and gives me the same message.   Emails are not syncing - nothing in or out.

How do I fix?

Answer
Answer
To create a new data file:
Close Outlook, type or paste this in the address bar of file explorer: %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook
Locate your data file - it should have your email address as the file name. Select it and press F2 - add 'old' the file name.
Restart Outlook.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

92 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi Marishanon,
It sounds like you are at 50 GB. You'll either need to reduce the size of the data file or reduce the amount of mail that is syncing.

Go to File, Account Settings, open the account settings dialog. Double click on the account and set the sync slider to a shorter period of time.

To bring it down fast, you can rename the data file and let outlook create a fresh new one. If you have calendar & contacts in 'this computer only' folders, export them to a CSV file first. Close outlook and rename the data file - it's at %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

45 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 112,058 Applies to: