Search for all emails to and from an individual contact

In earlier versions there was an easy way to see all emails associated with an individual contact within that contact.  The default searches now seem to focus on from or to fields but I cannot find an easy way to see all email to a contact regardless of what folder it is in or whether from or to them.  Is this hidden somewhere or how to I create this search and save it with the ability to change the contact?

Thanks,

Mary

Hi MaryLigo,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community. 

As per your thread description about “The default searches now seem to focus on from or to fields but I cannot find an easy way to see all email to a contact regardless of what folder it is in or whether from or to them, we have tested and checked one test result from our end. 

In search field, when we are searching all emails with individual contact by using All Mailboxes or All Outlook items" option, we can see all those emails which are associated with that individual contact.

So, can we re-confirm that “whether you have tried to search the all emails from these two option (All Mailboxes or All Outlook items) for individual contact?

Here is the screenshot for the reference purpose:

Meanwhile, we have found other way to search all emails with individual contact. By using Advanced Find under Search Tools option, we can search all emails of individual contact for all folders.

Following are the steps and screenshot:

In Outlook > click onsearch bar > now under Search tab > click on Search Tools option> select Advanced Find option.

Under Advanced Find> select all folders under “In” option by clicking on “Browse” option for mailbox > Select highlighted fields as per your requirement > click on Find Now option.

Further, could you please provide us below information from your side so we can do further test and guide you according to that information?

1. Could you please provide us detailed steps and screenshot about “The default searches now seem to focus on from or to fields”?

2. Could you please provide us some brief information about “how to I create this search and save it with the ability to change the contact?

3. Kindly provide us your detailed screenshot of your Office and Outlook version. For knowing Office and Outlook version > open any Office applications such as Word / Outlook > click on File tab > select Office Accounts option, capture whole page and provide us those details.

For uploading captured screenshot: click on Image Symbol > select the captured screenshot from your local computer.

Regards,

Darpan
* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for these instructions.  I am aware of how to do a search like this.  What I wish was still available was the ability to go to a specific contact in the contact list and with only one step get a result list of all emails to/from that contact.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MaryLigo,

Thank you for your reply. We are truly appreciating your reply in our forum community.

Based on your description about “What I wish was still available was the ability to go to a specific contact in the contact list and with only one step get a result list of all emails to/from that contact”, we have tested and checked certain result from our end in Monthly Channel Office version:  2002 (12527.20278).  Here are our steps and screenshots about test result:

In Outlook > we have clicked on People icon at the bottom of navigation pane > we have searched one contact in search field and selected that contact under contact list > after that we have clicked “All Outlook item” from the ribbon > after clicking on “All Outlook Items” from ribbon, we can see all emails associated with that searched contact from People icon.

Further, could you please provide us the information about “Which Office version channel and Outlook version you are using? Could you please provide us detailed screenshot of your Office and Outlook version from your side for further analysis?

For uploading captured screenshot: click on Image Symbol > select the captured screenshot from your local computer.

Regards,
Darpan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you again.  This last response is what I am looking to be able to do in Office 365, which is the most current version.  I have the desktop version installed for Outlook and other products through GoDaddy's business essentials 365 and install all updates automatically.  I realize the feature is no longer in this version.  The search process you indicated initially is much more complicated to get the desired result.  

I appreciate your help and quick response.  It seems that my only option is to use the search feature.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

(Some information removed from this below screenshot for your privacy)

Account info

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MaryLigo,

Thank you for your update. We are truly appreciating your reply.

Based on your above mentioned description and account information, you have similar version which we have tested some test about search emails for specific contact via following options from our end. (just for our information purpose):

1. Found emails under All Mailboxes or All Outlook items" from search filed under Email icon.

2. Found emails via Advance Find option.

3. Found emails via Contact list under People icon.

So, based on our test, in current version we can search emails via these above mentioned options.

But, further could you please provide us detailed steps or screenshot from your side about "how you are searching all emails for specific contact in Outlook desktop client so that we can do that test from our side and further guide you if any possible thing?

We are heartly appreciating your cooperation in our forum community.

Regards,
Darpan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I search for a particular email address and all mailboxes, the default comes up with only those emails "from" the address.  It doesn't include those "to" the person.  The only way to get the "to" ones is to go to the sent folder.  I don't keep all "to" emails in the sent folder so need all folders searched for both "from" and "to" an individual.  It takes multiple steps to find what I need.

I still wish there was a feature as there was in the 2002 version where you can select a contact and get all emails or all outlook items in a result list for that contact.

For your privacy purpose, we have removed your image part.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MaryLigo,

Thank you for your update. Regarding your whole concern, we understand your whole concern that certain thing cannot meet your requirement properly in the product feature. So, we heartly request you that kindly submit your interesting and valuable feedback in our UserVoice service https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows, because our related team is developing such kind of features based on customers’ votes, feedback and shared experience about product feature, your feedback is important for our related developing team, because it will help you to improve the product feature in future.

We are heartly appreciating your cooperation and understanding in our forum community.

Have a good day MaryLigo.

Regards,
Darpan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 558 Applies to: