Outlook 2016: Drag and Drop Converts Message Attachment from HTML to Plain Text. Copy/Paste Doesn't

We are seeing some odd behavior dragging an HTML attachment from one email over to a new message.

We are using Outlook 2016, connected to Exchange Online/Office 365 if that makes a difference.

If I receive an email that has an HTML message as an attachment, I can double click to open that attachment and it displays properly.

If I forward that email with the attachment, the recipient receives my email and the attachment and it displays properly as HTML.

If I copy the attachment (ctrl-c) and open up a new email and paste in the attachment (ctrl-v), you can open the attachment and it displays as HTML as you would expect.

BUT, if instead of copy/paste, I drag the attachment over to the new email, it converts the attachment to plain text.

What gives?

Yes, the copy/paste is a workaround, but I was very used to dragging the attachment from one email to another and I'd love to have that back.

I've disabled all Add-Ins, with no change in behavior.

Office and Windows updates are all current.

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus 

Version 1708 (Build 8431.2079 Click-to-Run)

On Windows 10 Enterprise

I'd love any suggestions you have.

Thanks!

-- David

Answer
Answer

Carlos,

I changed one settings in the Cut, copy and paste option and was able to stop this behavior... Pasting between e-mails when style definitions conflict from Use Destination Styles (Default) to Keep Source Formatting.

I am not sure why this change is necessary as the destination format is HTML and source format is HTML...does not seem to be a conflict! 

Also, I don't believe that this issue was in previously builds.  It may have been introduced one or two builds back.

All other options in this setting section were left at default.

Current version:

Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.8827.2131) 32-bit.

Spencer

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 19, 2019 Views 1,369 Applies to: