How do we delete or modify only future events with Outlook recurring events?

to replicate the issue:

First, create a recurring event in Outlook Calendar.  Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at noon, for 1 hour. Times are not set in stone, so make them all tentative.  Set no end date for recurrence, since no end date is known and the event will occur for the foreseeable future, and save.

Next, make some changes to times on a bunch of the events.  Type in some notes in the events that your business depends on, and will cost you money if you lose them.

Next, try to go into the series and change the original start time to 11:30 instead of 12:00.  When clicking to save changes, I get the "If you changed specific appointments in the series, your changes will be cancelled (more like DELETED FOREVER WITH NO WAY TO UNDO, let's use accurate wording here) and those appointments will match the series again" message.

Microsoft, it's 2018.  Your software might be the premier gold standard for office use, but the lack of ability to do something as necessary as changing a recurring appointment without affecting all previous appointments, which have invaluable data saved in them, is a big enough issue to be a complete deal-breaker.  This needs to be added to your to-do list.

Please find a way to make this happen.  It isn't acceptable that I go to Google to get this functionality (at no cost to me) as a work-around.  It isn't acceptable that I must manually move each event to the new adjusted time FOREVER.  I cannot stop the recurrence, I cannot make a change to the time, I cannot make ANY CHANGE to the recurrence WITHOUT LOSING ALL CHANGES PERMANENTLY.  Really?

That isn't an acceptable answer.  WE pay you WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for that to be your answer.  Please get on this.

Short version: you can't. (They are fixing it, at least for Office 365/Outlook.com mailboxes. No ETA - probably in the Office 2019 time frame)

if you need to keep copies of the original appointments for historical reasons, you need to either export to CSV and import - this creates individual events. Or use a macro to do the same. See https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/calendar/chan... for details and a link to the macro.
Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

** I don't work for Microsoft, I just volunteer here.**

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello
Unfortunately at the moment this is no possible, hopefully they can get it as soon as they can, leave your comment or search for a possible post of this already.

Here are you options to leave a feedback:

Give feedback on Microsoft Office

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-do...
Volunteer, No Microsoft Agent.
Feel free to pick a rate if your question is resolved.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm a big fan of working smarter, not harder.  Using another calendar provider to do the same thing is so much easier than educating one's self on using macros or on exporting and importing CSV files.  It's not that I don't know how.  It's that I'm frustrated that this subscription costs a grip, and lacks basic features that are included in free alternatives that are EASIER TO USE (at least in this case).

It's just unreasonable to me, and based off all the other (closed) threads on the same subject, many, many others also find it unreasonable.

For goodness sakes, it's 2018 people.

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a workaround, one that is absolutely asinine in its simplicity, and involves nothing to do with anything Microsoft at all.

Turns out if you edit the event on your iOS device in calendar, it will allow you to change all future events without affecting all previous history.  I went back and checked after the change, and all previous recurrences were unchanged, with all their glorious detail just as I had left them, and all future events were as I wanted them moving forward.

Go figure.  Apple had the solution all along.  I speculate (but have not tested) that some Android calendar apps would also effect the same change.

That's nuts (deez nutz!!).

122 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 10, 2020 Views 18,335 Applies to: