UID error message in Outlook 2010

I'm using Outlook 2010. My primary email is thru aol.  I frequently receive the following error message "The UID of a message changed unexpectedly.  This typically indicates a server bug.  Your program may not function properly after this." 

I've closed out Outlook 20 times and this error keeps coming back. I don't have aol open at the same time I'm using outlook. I deleted and then recreated the imap account as suggested by a MS article and this is worthless. Removed and re-installed Outlook with the same results. 

I've seen hundreds of blogs that document the problem and almost nothing of use on MS sites. Nearly all the blogs advise to not run aol and outlook at the same time and I don't.  I only care about fixing the problem and taking whatever steps are necessary to prevent it from recurring. 

OS is Vista. Used this Outlook program on this computer for several years with no problem. The problem seemed to coincide with MS updates but not sure.

Outlook is nearly useless to me without a solution and it is key to my small business. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2019 Views 21,665 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
The UID is a value that the IMAP server and client agree upon that identifies a particular message.  The message indicates that either the server or the client is now calculating a different UID for the same item.  If this were to happen to me, I'd delete the account, close Outlook, make sure the PST associated with the account is gone, then restart Outlook and re-add the account.
Brian

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.