Outlook: 501 Too many syntax or protocol errors

Hello,

I have created a Contact Group with approximately 120 email addresses.  I have tried to send an email and I receive this error message: Sending reported error (0x800CC0F): The connection to the server was interrupted.  If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or ISP. The server responded: 501 Too many syntax or protocol errors. 

I searched for a solution and it appears that the main reason this occurs is because of wrong characters in the email addresses. I have checked that the email addresses and they are perfect.  There are no quotation marks, brackets or spaces in the email addresses.  

I don't know what to do next to resolve this problem. 

|
Most ISPs have a limit on the number of recipients a single email can have, usually on the order of 50 or less.  The error message, while it indicates syntax errors, could be misleading in this case.  Can you send successfully to a smaller number of recipients?
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Broadcast Engineer/IT Pro
MVP-Outlook - WA7BGX
www.rolandschorr.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Hal,

Thank you for replying! This is the only group contact list I have, and its also the first time I have tried to send a group email.  I will contact the ISP and check if there is a limit on the number of recipients.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 6, 2021 Views 13,238 Applies to: