Restore Outlook Messages from Time Machine

I have an exchange server and accidentally deleted a folder of messages. I would like to know if and how I could restore those messages from Time Machine. It was only one folder our of 15 that I need to restore. 

I am using Outlook 2011. 

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2019 Views 24,984 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
You cannot restore a single folder. You have to restore the entire Identity and export the data you want.

TO RESTORE YOUR IDENTITY FROM A TIME MACHINE BACKUP:

1) Click the Time Machine icon in the Dock or open it from the Applications folder.

2) Use the arrows and the timeline along the right edge of your screen to browse through the Time Machine backups. When you find the Main Identity file, select it, and then click Restore. Select to save on the Desktop.

3) Rename Main Identity on Desktop to "Restored Main Identity".

4) Drag "Restored Main Identity" to the Office 2011 Identities folder.

~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/

5) "Switch Identity" - Select the Restored Main Identity

How to create a new Identity or switch to a new Identity in Outlook 2011

6) Export only the items missing under File > Export as .olm file. Save to Desktop. If it's a specific message folder, you can drag the folder to the Desktop as .mbox file.

7) "Switch Identity" and select Main Identity.

8) Under File > Import select the .olm file on the Desktop. The imported file will show up in the folder list as Archived xxx or something similar. You'll need to then select all items and drag them to the account.

Drag the .mbox file into the header for the account or use File > Import select "contacts or messages from a text file" > .mbox.

How to move items like events, contacts, notes, tasks

9) You can delete the restored Identity when you are satisfied you have recovered all data.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.