Outlook version 15.29 will not connect. Does not recognize my password. Is there a fix?

Yesterday morning I opened Outlook and it worked fine. At some point during the morning it disconnected and stopped updating. I would notice emails on my phone but not in my inbox. When I closed and reopened, it requested me to log-in but does not recognize my password.

Now, when I open Outlook, I see all my emails and folders that were there prior to the disconnect, but in the lower right corner it says, "Last synced 1/10/17 8:04 am. Not connected...".

I get the log-in screen that has my email pre-populated for my Office 365 account. I add my password, hit enter, it appears to be logging-in, the screen goes away and within seconds it opens again with my email and a blank password field. This is repeated every time I try to log-in.

My 365 account, email, etc. still work with my login and password via a web browser. This is only a problem with Outlook. It should be noted that yesterday I did not perform any updates. All this began randomly.

I run Outlook on a Mac that is up to date, macOS Sierra 10.12.2

We use the Outlook log-in screen that is customized for our company.

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2019 Views 288 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Barry,

Here are answers to your questions:

1. No, the suggestions provided by Sam usually delete the entries that are related to the password. Once they are deleted, some new entries will generated automatically to replace them.
  2. “You will get the activation to prompt” means you will get a prompt to activate the Outlook for Mac client after deleting all the entries.
  3. “2-Factor Authentication” is an authentication method which not only asks you to input your username and password in the Outlook for Mac, but also asks you to input the username and password in the browser pop-up window. This is a secure authentication method.
  4. No, generally, if you know the Office 365 account’s username name and password, you can finish the process.

@Patrick, did the problematic user try adding a "\" before his username? For example:

Username: \domain\username
Password: whatever his password is

Make sure he saves to his keychain after.

Thanks,
Mouran

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi Barry,

Based on my experience, I suggest you try the following steps and check if there is any improvement:
1. Make sure you quit Outlook and other Office apps. Go to KeyChain Access; (Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access)
2. Search "Exchange" under Login> All Items and delete everything;
3. Search "Office" and delete everything;
4. Search "ADAL" and delete everything;  
5. Launch Outlook;
6. You will get the activation to prompt. If the account is already added, you will see the password prompt for the app and ADAL again. Please do 2-Factor Authentication if asked to and you should be able to login.

However, if the issue persists, I’d like to collect the following information for further troubleshooting:
1. Does the issue occur to other users who use Outlook for Mac in your organization?
2. How did you configure your account in Outlook for Mac? Via Exchange or IMAP/POP?
3. Some relevant screenshots about ‘I get the log-in screen that has my email pre-populated’.

Thanks,
Sam

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.