Outlook 16.23.1 not searching correctly on Mojave 10.14.4

I've had intermittent problems where the search function in Outlook on my Mac would stop working. In the past, I had a reliable fix that I found somewhere online; I ran the following in Terminal:

mdimport -g ‘/Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Outlook Spotlight Importer.mdimporter’ -d1 ‘/Users/USERNAME/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile’

... where USERNAME was the home directory name on my Mac. This took a while to run, but worked like a charm every time.

But I recently upgraded to Mac OS 10.14.4 (Mojave), and apparently this command is no longer supported in Terminal. Now when I try to run it, I get the error:

'-g' no longer supported. Importers may only be tested by installing them.

To be honest, I don't really know what the "-g" parameter means. Any ideas on how to resolve? I'm a bit out of my depth here and don't want to do something that makes things worse.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi yobelow,

Thanks for posting in our forum. For your problem, I suggest toy try using the Outlook Search Repair tool to repair search issues in Outlook for Mac. For example, when search returns no results for items that do exist in your mailbox, or you get older data when you have newer items.

If the issue persists, for Outlook mac issue, we have a dedicated in-app support channel. You can click on Contact Support feature on the Help menu to find them and get targeted help.

Best Regards,

Huni

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Huni - I downloaded and ran the Outlook Search Repair tool you provided a link for above. When it opens, there's just a blank window, with no menu options available to do anything. Is this what's supposed to happen?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi yobelow,

In this situation, you can try following the Step 7 of the article below to re-build the Spotlight index and see if it helps:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2741535/outlook-for-mac-search-returns-no-results-and-task-items-are-not-displ

Best Regards,

Huni

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Huni - step 7 of the link you provided suggests that I do precisely what my original question is about. Namely, that when I run the mdimport -g command in Mac OS 10.14.4 (Mojave), I get an error that the "-g" parameter is no longer supported. Specifically ...

'-g' no longer supported. Importers may only be tested by installing them.

This was the question I initially posed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi yobelow,

In this situation, you can try to create a new Outlook profile and check if the issue persists in the new created profile.

Note: Do not remove the old profile.

In addition, according to my research, I found a known issue that Search doesn't work in Outlook for Mac after MacOS upgrade. And the status is INVESTIGATING.

Here is the article for your reference: https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/search-doesn-t-work-in-outlook-for-mac-after-macos-upgrade-b73de6f1-aeb9-4720-bbbe-de65ab50012e

Best Regards,

Huni

Sorry this didn't help.

Huni - the article you posted above says Microsoft has been aware of this problem since Nov 2018. That’s 5 months ago and still no fix? Search is a critical function in Mail. How can it be unresolved after 5 months?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't see how I can continue to use Outlook if I can't search my mail.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi yobelow,

We have recently received several similar reports on this problem. It is suggested that you report this issue to our dedicated Outlook for Mac support team to get targeted assistance. You can click on Contact Support feature on the Help menu to find them. Your time and understanding will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Huni

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi yobelow,

We have recently received several similar reports on this problem. It is suggested that you report this issue to our dedicated Outlook for Mac support team to get targeted assistance. You can click on Contact Support feature on the Help menu to find them. Your time and understanding will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Huni

Guys, this is a pretty impactful, significant functionality issue...please prioritize accordingly...

Sorry this didn't help.

I interacted with MS's dedicated Outlook for Mac support team via the Contact Support feature on the Help menu in Outlook. I was told to do the following, 

Quit Outlook completely and then open Terminal on the Mac and then copy and paste the command

sudo mdutil -E / 

It would prompt for your Mac Password please enter it and wait for it to complete and then give it some time and then re-launch Outlook and check if that helps. If you still face issues. 

Quit Outlook completely by click on Outlook Menu > Quit Outlook and then try the steps 

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Spotlight.

2. Click the Privacy tab.

3. In Finder:

a. On the Go menu click Go to Folder...

b. Copy and paste the following location into the "Go to the folder:" dialog box and click Go:

~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/

4. Drag the ‘Main Profile’ folder to the Privacy tab. Once added, remove the folder, and Spotlight will re-index the folder. Note: You must perform this step for any additional profile folders you may have.

See the following article from Apple to learn more: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

This appeared to work - messages were appearing in search results. But unfortunately, the fix was short-lived. Newer mail is still not appearing in search results. (I can be looking at a message just received in my inbox, search for it, and get no results). So there's still a problem. But at least I temporarily have some kind of search capability. 

I have posted this back to the Outlook Support team and will update this thread if they respond with helpful suggestions.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 12, 2020 Views 8,134 Applies to: