Can't login to desktop outlook inbox even though I can in office 365

Hi there, I have just installed latest office onto my Mac and have been using my office 365 mailbox no problems. However when I try to log into the desktop outlook version, it tells me my username or password is not valid (I have used the same successfully for office 365 set up and also adding exchange email account to i phone). Can someone please help me?

hi melani,

from the description, i understand you are encountering an issue to "login in" outlook 2016 for mac while the credentials are correct.
to look into the issue, i’d like to confirm the following information:
1. about “using my office 365 mailbox no problems”, could you confirm if you can use the same credentials to sign in to outlook web app?
2. about “log into the desktop outlook version”, could you confirm if you want to activate outlook 2016 for mac or add the email account in it?
3. have you tried to reset the password?
4. if you create a new user, could you login in outlook 2016 for mac?
also, i’d like to collect the screenshot of the error.
to upload the screenshots, please perform the following steps:
(1) click use rich formatting on the bottom of this thread->click insert/edit media as the picture shows.

(2) on the pop-up window, click browse to select the screenshot. after it is uploaded, click insert.

thanks,
franky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i can use the same credentials on office 365 no probs, it doesn't work changing passwords or adding other users. i have installed outlook on desktop and when i go to open it it asks to prove my stp identity which is when it doesn't like my password. if i press cancel at this stage outlook stays open and i can see in 'accounts' that my email is added as a pop account but no mail is coming in or out. i have attached screen shot.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Melani,

Thanks for your reply.
I checked the error message in the screenshot and found that the error is returned from a google URL. So I’d like to confirm the two more things below:
1. Did you add an Office 365 for Business account or a Gmail account into the Outlook for Mac client?
2. Could you capture a screenshot of the detailed configurations when you added the email account into Outlook client?

Moreover, if you are using a Gmail account in Outlook for Mac client, please check if you have enabled Basic Authentication and 2-step verification for your Gmail account. You can refer to the article below for more details.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2984937

Regards,
Yang

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, so this is what happened: I got an email domain through a website builder called Squarespace as part of the package. It came with google apps but I didn't like using the gmail inbox for my work account as i am used to outlook. I therefore signed up for a trial month for office business premium. To do this I had to verify I owned the domain which took ages as I had to reconfigure my dns settings (with help) After I did this, I started to receive emails through on office 365 (and exchange on my phone) but couldn't seem to add any email account to the desktop. I presumed that office 365 and desktop outlook would be one and the same and would synchronise, the former just being an in the cloud version of my desktop inbox however having had a computer engineer out today, he said this is not possible. That i would have to use one or the other. I prefer desktop version so he did manage to set me up on that in the end but by adding the gmail account to it via imap (not pop) This means google is still powering my email address which I am confused by in itself. BUT, when I then sent an email from desktop outlook (powered by gmail), any reply that came back went into office 365 and nOT outlook on desktop inbox?? also, any external email at all coming in would go into office 365 inbox and not desktop. Yet if I sent an email to myself from desktop inbox, it came into that one and not office 365. So now I am stuck!!!!!! I am not sure what screen shot you want for the configs you refer to above addinging email account into outlook? Also, I have just enabled 2 step verification which is fine for my iphone but when I went to add in the code to my gmail account, there was nowhere to add a password at all?? I am very lost and frustrated. Please help/

Thanks

Mel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just replied to this but as an update......I am back to working via office 365 until I can figure out desktop and have signed for the 2 step verification, Since doing this, I can now receive emails via the exchange inbox I have added to my phone, and those same emails go to my 365 inbox. However, I can no loner send emails from my exchange account on my phone - it tells me I have the wrong password??!! It is however not the wrong password. Unless I am to re-enter the very long number that was given to me as part of the 2 step verification (of which I have not noted as it said I wouldn;t need that again?!!) I can luckily receive and send emails from 365 still but dont understand why I no longer can from my phone. This is getting worse!! PLEASE HELP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Melani,

Thanks for the update.
Now I understand that you are using the same domain both for Gmail and Office 365.
The MX record is pointed to Office 365, so the email which sends to the account will be sent to Office 365.
For the account in iPhone, the account you are using is the Gmail account as you need the 2 step verification.
If you want to add the Office 365 account in iPhone, please refer to: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-email-on-iPhone-iPad-or-iPod-Touch-b2de2161-cc1d-49ef-9ef9-81acd1c8e234#BKMK_WorkOrSchool

As you want to use the Gmail account in Outlook and iPhone, I suggest you contact Gmail support to check the MX record you need to configure and the steps to add Gmail account in iPhone.

Thanks,
Franky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2023 Views 5,907 Applies to: