"Authentication Failed" message

I am using Outlook for Mac ver 16.28 on my Apple MB Air. I have been getting the "Authentication Failed, Do you want to re-enter password?" error message quite frequently recently. I assumed it was due to ATT switching servers from Yahoo to Att.net. However, my other 3 "regular" imap accounts now seem to be ok. My Apple.me account, however, is not. I continue to get this message despite the server addresses, port numbers, and password being correct:

Mail could not be received at this time.

The server for the account "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" returned the error "(AUTHENTICATIONFAILED)

Authentication failed" Your username/password or security setttings may be incorrect. Would you like to

try re-entering your password?

NO     YES

I have re-entered my password until I'm blue in the face!. When I open Accounts, this account has a yellow dot beside it in the accounts list; the other 3 (non-Apple addresses) have  green dots. The imap & smtp addresses are exactly as Microsoft lists on its Server addresses page for iCloud addresses, as are the port numbers. I use these exact SAME server addresses and port numbers on my iPad Pro and my iPhone, where I am able to receive mail for this account. 

This makes absolutely no sense!

I'd appreciate any help ya'll could give me!

Thanks,

Pat

Answer
Answer

Thank you Diane, for your quick response!

I "think" i have found the problem with my "tomboypat" account.........I had entered imap.mail.att.com rather than imap.mail.att.net. There is now a green dot over this account in the account list.

I hope this solves my problem. If not, I'll let you know:)

Thanks,

Pat

Pat

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2024 Views 1,929 Applies to: