Outlook search - duplicate emails for gmail imap

I'm using a gmail imap account with Outlook for Mac v15.33.

I have a problem with Search. Since I'm moving my emails on the base of certain criteria (title) to another folder in Outlook - it seems that I have duplicates of the same email.

For example If I search for something - I'm seeing the same email in

No action required

All mail

All mail

INBOX

Important

I have no idea why search shows the mail twice in All Mail - I can see the email only once there, but the search shows it twice.

Anyway the same email is being displayed 5 times in the search. So if my search returns 10 emails - I see 50 emails to scroll. That's really annoying.

I know that gmail uses labels and outlook uses folders, but is there any way to prevent this madness?

Answer
Answer

I reported this same problem last year. There is nothing wrong with the user's index.

It is a problem with how Outlook works with Gmail accounts.

In Gmail, all of a user's email is stored in a single folder named "All Mail". Labels can be assigned by the user to sort mail into what looks like folders. These folders operate much like the 'Smart folder' concept in Outlook, i.e. they are a filter. So while you can see messages in what looks like an inbox folder or some other sub-folder, the message actually resides in the 'All Mail' folder and the label provides a means of seeing the message in the place you designate.

Outlook 2016 for Mac is a traditional mail client that uses folders. When used with a Gmail account, it creates folders for each label found in the Gmail account. Prior to Outlook version 15.21.1, by default the 'All Mail' folder was not automatically subscribed in the IMAP folder list window (Tools --> IMAP Folders) because to do so would mean that Outlook would download all messages twice and store them in two locations (once in 'All Mail' and once in the folder corresponding to the Gmail label).

When the Archive feature was introduced in Outlook version 15.21.1, Outlook's behaviour was changed so that the 'All Mail' folder in IMAP was auto-subscribed and the user was prevented from unsubscribing from it. This resulted in the following adverse effects:

• The entire 'All Mail' folder was downloaded. For a large account this is time consuming and for every email Outlook finds that has a calendar appointment it causes the calendar alert to fire.
  • The user's mail store is now double the size it used to be.
  • When the user searches for mail within Outlook, the search engine finds two copies of every email (one in the folder it has been assigned to and one in the 'All Mail' folder.
  • When a user displays the conversation view in email, Outlook displays every message twice because it can find the conversation in both the current folder and the 'All Mail' folder.
  • When a user flags an email for follow up, Outlook displays it as a task in the Task module. Because every email message is duplicated, the task list displays the task (email) twice so the list is duplicated.

The ideal solution would be to permit the user to unsubscribe from the All Mail folder.

An alternative would be to change how the various features that have been impacted work, e.g. search, conversation view, tasks could be changed so that they do not scan the 'All Mail' folder.

The new Gmail account configuration in Insider Fast builds has addressed this partially, e.g. the Sent folder in Outlook no longer displays every message twice. However Conversation view is still impacted.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Daniel,

According to your description, when you search for an email on Outlook for Mac client, it will show duplicated emails in the search result. Since the problem is related to the search feature in Outlook for Mac, I recommend that you perform the following steps to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac.

Here are the steps:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Spotlight.

2. Click the Privacy tab.

3. Drag the folder or disk that you want to index again to the list of locations that Spotlight is prevented from searching. Or click the Add (+) button and select the folder or disk to add.

4. From the same list of locations, select the folder or disk that you just added. Then click the Remove (–) button to remove it from the list.

5. Quit System Preferences. Spotlight will reindex the contents of the folder or disk.

Note: Depending on your Mac and the contents of its hard disk, re-indexing may take several hours to days. Until this process is finished, Spotlight won’t know the contents of your disks and neither will Outlook. All lists like contacts, events, notes etc. are generated by the Spotlight searches.

Regards,

Barry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2024 Views 8,630 Applies to: