Outlook 2016 macbook - Outlook keeps prompting for password after password change

Hi there,

We recently changed the password for some office365 mailboxes because they expired.

No problem at all! 

But in Outlook 2016 (mac version) every time I startup, the accounts where we changed the passwords (3-4 mailaccounts) give me a loginscreen. When I enter the password everything is fine, but the next day this same problem happends again.

You can imagine with 3-4 mailaccounts its a frustrating start of the day. 

Please advice. 

Danny van der Ven

Answer
Answer
Hi Danny van der Ven,

Based on my experience, I suggest you try the following steps and check if there is any improvement:
1. Make sure you quit Outlook and other Office apps. Go to KeyChain Access; (Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access)
2. Search "Exchange" under Login> All Items and delete everything;
3. Search "Office" and delete everything;
4. Search "ADAL" and delete everything;  
5. Launch Outlook;
6. You will get the activation to prompt. If the account is already added, you will see the password prompt for the app and ADAL again. Please do 2-Factor Authentication if asked to and you should be able to login.

However, if the issue persists, I’d like to collect the following information for further troubleshooting:
1. The detailed version of you Outlook for Mac client. (In Outlook> About Outlook.)
2. Does the issue occur to other users who use Outlook for Mac in your organization?
3. How did you configure your account in Outlook for Mac? Via Exchange or IMAP/POP?
4. Some relevant screenshots about ‘Outlook keeps prompting for password’.

Thanks,
Sam

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2023 Views 1,394 Applies to: