Question

Q: How do you view a shared calendar on the Outlook Android app

Simple question.  Two people, both on same domain using Exchange online share their calendars.  Works perfectly on desktop Outlook (Office 365).  Android app shows that the other party's calendar is shared with full permissions but I cannot find any way view that calendar.  Question to Android Outlook App support has not produced an answer.  

I am told (but not confirmed) that it works on the OWA but that the Outlook app is the future and that OWA is the "old" system so I am reluctant to change to the OWA.

Any suggestions please?

Hi Chris,

To let user view shared calendar in Outlook for Android, we recommend you follow the detailed steps below:

1. To get the new features for a shared calendar, existing shared relationships must be deleted. The calendar must be re-shared by using Outlook on the web (OWA). Other older sharing relationships will persist, but they won’t access the new features. Please refer to the Share my calendar part in this article.

2. The recipient must also accept the new sharing invitation from Outlook on the web. The recipient will receive an invitation email to share someone else’s calendar, select Accept or View calendar in the message, then the shared calendar will show Under Calendar list> Other Calendar.

3. Now you can check the shared calendar by opening your Outlook for Android client> calendar list.

Please note: Only normal shared calendars can be shared on mobile devices. Delegated calendars cannot be shared.

To share, the calendar owner and share recipient must be in the same tenant and both must be in O365. 

Here is an article for your reference: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Ignite-Content-2016/Microsoft-Ignite-2016-Improve-shared-and-delegated-calendar/m-p/18646 .

Regards,

Rudy

[Updated by Amanda Zhang MSFT, 2:37 am, Aug, 2017 (UTC)]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Hi Chris,

Do you need further assistance?

Thanks,

Amanda

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

Do you need further assistance?

Thanks,

Amanda

Yes please.  I can publish the calendar to be shared and create the .ics URL but cannot find any way to subscribe to that .ics on the Outlook Android app.  There is no option to add a calendar via a URL that I can find.

Sorry this didn't help.

As an update I can now report success without using the .ics route. 

We have resent the invitations to share calendars from desktop Outlook but then accepted these in the web version.  Now, the shared calendars are showing up as an option on each other's Android phones in the Outlook app.  This seems to work well and the shared calendar appointments can be customized to show in different colours on the one screen.  Brilliant and a really useful option so that my wife and I can manage our time better.  Thanks for your help. 

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Hi Chris,

I'm very glad to work with you and it helps. If you have any other questions when using Office 365 in future, please feel free to post a new thread in our forum.

Thanks,

Amanda

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 17,044 Last updated: July 15, 2018 Applies to: