Outlook for Android is syncing Just Part of the Contacts (those in Contact Folders)

Hello,

I have installed outlook.com on a new phone, and enabled syncing contacts, and it seemed to be working. However, I have noticed several contacts that are not there, while the majority of them are. All syncs are being successful, that means syncing is complete, so all contacts were expected to be available. Yet they are not.

CONTEXTUAL INFORMATION

On my old phone, all those contacts are appearing just fine. But there is a difference on the method of synchronization. After facing problems with Outlook App in the past, I have removed the app and started using an Exchange account on GMail app, as a workaround that I have found into a forum at Microsoft Community.

I have tried to set up the same procedure on my new phone, but it seems that the instructions I had are outdated because the recommended options seems not to exist. So, I resigned and accepted the fact that I shall use the Outlook app again (hoping it's more stable now).

KEY ASPECTS OF THE MISSING CONTACTS

As my old phone might had problems syncing, I did not trust it as a mean to check if the missing contacts were actually into my Outlook account. For that reason, I have checked if they were also present at my outlook.com account, going into People. And yes, all the missing contacts are indeed there, so they are really not syncing.

However, I cannot tell about all the hundreds of missing contacts, but I have checked some of them and have found something in common: they are all contacts that I added through People web interface, and added into contact folders. They do not appear on the main "Contacts" Folder, but rather into an alternative Folder (I separate them for better organization). I'm highly confident that this might be the fundamental difference, but I'm not sure.

WHAT I THINK IS GOING ON

My main working hypothesis is: contacts into folders are not being sync through Outlook for Android app. As in my Phone I was accessing the contacts through Exchange protocol, the folders were working just fine; when I turned back to Outlook for Android app it stopped working.

MY QUESTION

What can I do in order to have all those contacts working? Is there special instructions for adding my outlook.com account as Exchange into my new Phone (Android 9)? I could not find any online.

Or maybe perhaps an option on Outlook for Android app to sync contacts into folders? I also could not find anything online.

Thanks in advance,

Bruno Moreira-Guedes

Moved from: People and contacts / Other

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for posting your concern in the Community. I hope you're having a great day, in spite of the issues you're experiencing in Outlook for Android. Let's try to address your concern.

If you set up your email as an IMAP or POP account, your calendars and contacts won't sync. You'll have to add them as an Exchange ActiveSync account. Also make sure that your email app has the correct permissions to access your calendar and contacts.

To troubleshoot the issue, follow the steps below:

1. In the Outlook app, go to Settings > Tap the account that is not syncing > Tap Reset Account. Check to see if your account is syncing.

2. Still not working? Delete and re-add your email account:

From Settings, tap the account that is not syncing > tap Delete Account > Delete From This Device.

Then re-add your email account in Outlook for Android.

Note: If you're prompted to set up your email as an IMAP account, your email provider may not be able to sync calendar and contacts. Contact them or your administrator for help. If you're asked to enter server settings, you need to get server settings from your provider.

If the issue still occurs, kindly reinstall Outlook on your device. If the issue still persists after reinstalling Outlook, I recommend that you submit your concern to our Outlook in-app support team. To get in touch with them, click on this link.

I'd also like to get the version of your device and Outlook.

To notify me and have me get back to you, simply reply to this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Regile!

Thanks for kindly trying to respond. Unfortunately, as I said, the synchronization is happening successfully, and yet some specific contacts are not syncing. All the described procedures were tried regarding the outlook app.

Furthermore, I have tried to find the same contacts on my old Lumia phone and on my computer, using People, and it seems like the same contacts are missing. I'm highly confident, at this point, that Outlook is just syncing the main "Contacts" folder and none of the other folders. For instance, none of the contacts in the selected folder here (names omitted for privacy) is syncing.

The outlook version I'm using is 4.1.27 (394), and the device is a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, with Android 9, updated yesterday.

I have already checked whether it is syncing or not, removed and added the account again, reinstalled the app, etc. I guess this is a functionality Outlook simply does not have (apparently).

That means I'll have to do by adding the account into another app. Yes, I'm aware about the POP/IMAP limitation on contacts and already tried to add as an Exchange account. Here are the steps I followed (I have found them again, later): https://support.office.com/en-us/article/set-up-email-in-android-email-app-71147974-7aca-491b-978a-ab15e360434c

Unfortunately, I am just getting an error while trying to add the account. It tells me to "contact the IT admin", but in my case there is no admin, as it's an outlook.com individual account. The only thing I'm doing different from the instructions is that I have 2-steps authentication and I am using an app password instead of my actual password.

Sincerely,

Bruno Moreira-Guedes

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate your response. I'll be consulting our Internal Support team to know if this is working as expected or if there are any workaround that we can do to address this issue.

Kindly expect an update from me within 7 days.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You state that you are using an Outlook.com mail account, under normal circumstances this would be an Exchange mail account, and there is No Contacts folder in this type of mail account.

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Regile,

Just to update the question, I tried again by the next days the procedures described in the link (the one from my last reply, about how to set up Exchange contacts on Android), and yesterday it just worked. I guess that was a temporary error of some kind.

Now all my contacts (at least those who I am aware about) seem to be in sync!!

Thanks for your response anyway.

Best regards

Bruno Moreira-Guedes

Sincerely,

Bruno Moreira-Guedes

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to hear that. Should the issue reoccur or if you have any other concern, don't hesitate to post back in the Community.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Palcouk,

I'm not sure I could understand your reply, but indeed there are contact folders in this type of account. You can check it out by opening web version of People app: https://outlook.live.com/people/

Perhaps, it seems that it is not implemented in the App.

Also, I didn't understand your screenshot, as you took it from the Email interface rather than the People interface. You're looking at Email folders, you're not going to find Contacts in there.

Best regards,

Bruno Moreira-Guedes

Sincerely,

Bruno Moreira-Guedes

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MSFT agents,

have you received any feedback from your Internal Support team?

The issue still prevents syncing up contacts from all folders - except the default "Contacts" folder. This is a deal breaker for users with a big number of contacts arranged in folders.

In fact it seems this issue has not been solved since 2018 (link: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/suggestions/34722535-syncing-outlook-contacts-subfolders-with-my-androi)

Thanks,

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

outlook app does not sync contact subfolders on android

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In the near past I played with subfolders below the standard contact folders as well. What I found was, that the subfolder itself had not been sync'd (pity!) but the contacts WITHIN the subfolders had been sync'd.

Looks like it is the following uservoice feedback: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/293346-outlook-for-android/suggestions/38294656-sync-contact-groups

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 2,018 Applies to: