Android Outlook App version 3.0.34 "mailto:" links dont add subject information

I have issue with new Android Outlook App version 3.0.34. When opening "mailto:" link where also subject and body is defined the information is not copied to the new e-mail.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2019 Views 777 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi MTann,

I've tried to replicate your concern here on my end, I was getting the same issue. I were able to confirm that this is a feature limitation in Outlook for Android. I highly suggest that you post your concern in our Outlook UserVoice. Our developers will review your feedback and might consider adding this feature on our future updates.

Should you have any other concern, don't hesitate to post back in the community.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This feature/functionality worked with older versions of Andorid Outlook App. For me it seems that it was excluded from new version.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Regile,

Thanks for trying the simulation of issue and officially responding that it is now working properly at your side also.

As mentioned by MTann, it was not a feature or functionality limitation BUT it seems it is a BUG in the latest version of Outlook for Android.  even the latest version 3.0.40 released on 29th March 2019 is also having same issue, it is not taking to: address from mailto: link and also not taking subject and mail body; though it is already defined in mailto: link.

And same was working perfectly OK with the previous versions of Outlook for Android which was also having older icon.

So please report this issue to your development / BUG Fixing team and kindly get it fixed ASAP.

Just try to understand that 100M+ downloads of your Application and those all users are facing this issue !!!

So please resolve it ASAP.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, this 100% has to be a bug. We use mailto links in our approval emails at my organization, and they all stopped working last week. They still work correctly in the PC/ Mac / iOS apps, so I can't imagine this is intended behavior. 'mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***' works fine, but as soon as you put something like 'mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***?subject=test' it stops pre-filling the info, only in the Android app. Is there an open case / bug tracker somewhere we can follow this? 

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate your response. Since you've mentioned that the mailto function was working prior to the last update, It's possible that it was removed from the last update. I would recommend that you post this concern in the Outlook for Android UserVoice, so that it will be reported to our engineers to bring back this feature on our future updates.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Regile,

I appreciate that you’re sticking with this, but I feel as though you’re not acknowledging that this is an issue, and that it is a relatively big issue at that. Mailto is an internet IETF standard from 1998 that Outlook has been compliant with for years: Link.

Multiple enterprise applications utilize mailto links for important functions (approval emails in ServiceNow are what caused me to notice this) and I can’t very well just tell our enterprise to no longer use the Outlook app for Android. This still works correctly in the Mac, iOS, and PC clients. You even have a knowledge article on how to use mailto links in Outlook here. Is there not a way we can file this as a bug report and get someone to look into it for us? 

Edit: Furthermore, I think the fact that mailto is HALF working in Android is indicative of the fact that this is a bug that was introduced. mailto:emailAddress still works fine in the Android Outlook app, it’s as soon as you put ?subject (like mailto:emailAddress?subject=) that it breaks. If it was purposely removed, they would have removed ALL handling for mailto links. Its clearly broken.

Sorry this didn't help.

Regile,

As stated by others on this thread, this is a pretty important oversight that we need fixed ASAP.  Many people use MailTo links, and having these links not working properly is causing some major issues at my company as well.  We use these for Approvals in our ticketing system and for our Change Control process, and this is seriously impacting the ability of our users to approve changes from their phones using the Outlook App.  

Ed Mayer

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'd like to acknowledge that it's a possible bug, as I can see the importance of this feature, I'll confirm and endorse your concern to our engineers and will post an update once available.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Regile! I really do appreciate you sticking with us here and hearing our concerns.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for acknowledging this Regile. Like the other's, I can say this is most definitely a bug or something was missed in the latest update. Mailto links are very important in our organization and we've been getting many inquiries about this. I've been telling people to use their web or pc client instead and frankly I think this is unacceptable.

Sorry this didn't help.