ms installed teams exploratory feature without my consent

as far as i know we've had ms 365 installed on my new pc since may and we pay once yearly for that subscription which i believe is even older than that.  I cannot recall if its considered biz or personal (ms doesnt seem sure either, personal support says its biz and biz says they think its personal) but it is important to my azure tenant account which ties a "work account" to my personal email id aka my ms userid.   All of a sudden yesterday an install of the "exploratory feature " of teams occurred without my "consent" (i do allow 365 updates from what i see on the 365 account) and there was a reference to new billing after a trial period.  When i went to my installed apps list (to uninstall) i saw two teams entries, one with the familiar teams icon with a date back in may and the other from yesterday with an unfamiliar bluish somewhat square icon .  I uninstalled the latter.   I contacted 365 personal support via chat asking why etc.  they said my subscription is biz so they cant help but they sent me to https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/get-help-support?view=o365-worldwide&redirectSourcePath=%252fen-us%252farticle%252fContact-Office-365-for-business-support-Admin-Help-32a17ca7-6fa0-4870-8a8d-e25ba4ccfd4b which so far has been a waste of time (eg the suggestion to go to the admin portal for 365 doesn't have a support link in the bottom right as documented at the link) .  When i try to open teams right now i get a pop up that suggests i'd be "trying it out" even though i've used it since probably may and always assumed it was a part of my 365 subscription. My head is spinning but it may be useful to add that when i go to an app like outlook right now to see if i'm biz or personal 365, I see references to 365 but nothing specific about being personal or biz. i do have a call into biz support which is now sitting with the teams group.

Hello Db042190! I'm Ivan and I'd be happy to help you with your question, It seems like there might be some confusion regarding your Microsoft 365 subscription and whether it is considered for business or personal use. To clarify the situation and resolve the issue, I recommend taking the following steps: 1. Verify your Microsoft 365 Subscription: Check your Microsoft 365 subscription details to determine whether it is for business or personal use. To do this, go to the Microsoft 365 account page and sign in with your credentials. Once logged in, you should be able to see the subscription details and whether it is for business or personal use. 2. Contact Microsoft Support: Since there seems to be confusion between the personal and business support teams, try reaching out to Microsoft support through the appropriate channel. For business support, you can visit the Microsoft 365 Admin Help Center (https://admin.microsoft.com/AdminPortal/Home#/homepage) and look for the support options specific to your business account. If you are unsure about the correct support channel, you can start with the general Microsoft Support page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us) and select the appropriate category. 3. Discuss the Teams Issue: When contacting Microsoft Support, explain the situation regarding the unexpected installation of the "exploratory feature" of Teams and the confusion surrounding your subscription type. Provide them with the relevant details, such as the dates of your subscription and the sudden appearance of the new Teams entry with a different icon. 4. Seek Clarification on Teams Usage: Inquire about whether Teams should have been included in your existing Microsoft 365 subscription or if there are additional charges for using Teams in your scenario. 5. Document the Issue: While contacting support, keep track of any ticket numbers or reference numbers you receive. This documentation can be helpful for future follow-ups if needed. Microsoft Support should be able to investigate the issue further and provide you with appropriate assistance. If you encounter any challenges during the support process, don't hesitate to escalate the matter or ask for clarification. I provided you a similar topic that could possibly help you, quick fixes and troubleshooting found here: (Manage the Microsoft Teams Exploratory license) https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-exploratory">https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-exploratory or (How do I get rid of Microsoft Teams Exploratory?) https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-exploratory Remember to remain patient and persistent as you seek a resolution. Microsoft's support teams are generally responsive and eager to help resolve such issues. If you have any further questions or need more guidance, feel free to ask. Best regards, Ivan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

thx Ivan. Maybe you can tell me what kind of subscription it is. I don't see anything definitive.

The 1st image shows the portal (acct login), the second shows info about my subscription (notice 2 teams , i'm suspect one is exploratory feature which i uninstalled from the pc, not necessarily from the acct). I used my work account/domain when prompted but was surprised it wasn't under my personal userid.

i'm going to look and see if i can log in using my personal userid. I'll post that result back here. Maybe with the nonconsensual teams install yesterday, another 365 subscription was added under my work account/domain?

i'm already in touch with both channels. Biz channel is still working on it but they dont believe its biz. Personal channel is done for now. They believe its biz.

--2:03 pm EST - I just noticed the first line (maybe a header) in the licenses list says MICROSOFT TEAMS EXPLORATORY. This is very confusing.,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

signing in with my personal id shows this. Notice this clearly shows the channel whereas the work account sign in in the previous post doesn't show this kind of info. i appreciate your guidance on contacting the right channel but clearly neither channel is being helpful. The personal channel said it was a biz account. The biz channel said 1) its a personal acct they think, 2) the teams dept would get back to me in an hr or 2 and they didn't. I might have to contact the better business bureau on this. Very frustrating and we are slowly wandering away from the original question. Wondering if i've been paying double now. And if one acct needs to be cancelled, which would do the least amount of damage to 1) my azure activity, 2) my personal email etc activity.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would have to use powershell (who has time for this kind of dive?) to remove the unnecessary "exploratory" license from an account. And we don't even know yet which account is involved. And we don't know if my personal acct is like an umbrella over the work acct or I'm getting charged for 2 accts.

This is overly complicated and seems possibly to have been triggered by something that wasn't consensual in the first place. I tried to see if there was any billing info specific to the work acct and don't see anything, but I'm not sure what that proves. I dread having to look thru credit card statements.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2024 Views 244 Applies to: