Question

Q: Office 2010: Is There a MS Office Shortcut Bar ?? This thread is locked from future replies

Hello;
1) I haven’t been able to locate the Shortcut Bar in Office 2010.
It’s a very handy tool to have based on earlier versions of Office, and I wonder if it’s there somewhere but invisible!
2) Can I copy the Shortcut Bar from Office 2003 to Office 2010 ??
Should one expect some functionality complications as a result, and hence it’s not worth it ??
(I recall, but not absolutely sure, the Shortcut Bar I have in Office 2003 had been copied from Office 2000, but I could be wrong!)
Thank you kindly.
Monir
(XL 2003 SP3, Windows XP SP3)
(New to: XL 2010, Win 7 Pro SP1)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same problem. I love the Office 2000 shortcut bar - there 's no better or more economic way to organise your shortcuts.  I used it for 15 years until Windows 7. But now I migrated to Windows 10 it does't work anymore.
Has anyone found a solution to this issue? In Windows 10 environment, I cannot go to say Words or Excel etc. just by clicking on the shortcut on my desk top, as I cannot find the installed program by using file explorer. Can anyone help?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Win Key>All Apps.........scroll down to W-Word 2010, rt click>Pin to task Bar

Or Cortana search, Word, rt click etc

Or Tablet mode>All apps screen

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem / same disappointment here.  Don't know why it doesn't work anymore in Windows 10.  Wish there were an alternative that let me put multiple strings of mini-shortcuts in sets that I place where I want to on the screen (separate and in addition to the stuff Windows does at the bottom of the screen).

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, unfortunately MS does not agree. Fortunately other smarter people think the same way.

In Win 8 MS REALLY wanted the "start scream" <sic> to be the be all end all.  It wasn't.

Eventually we learned how to bypass the start screen and work on the desktop. But we no longer had the star menu.  So other companies stepped in to remedy the deficiency.  One of those companies is Stardock.  They made a utility called "Fences" for Win 8 and upgraded it for WIn 10. 

Stardock Fences allows you to put "fences", like corals, on the Windows desktop.  You can drop shortcuts into these fences. They stay put there. You can drag the fences around and even minimize them. They have a free trial. Give it a try. There are other similar tools, but none of them worked quite the way I want them to.

(I don't work for them)

PS, if you have a high def screen you can try an alternate approach. Drag the taskbar to left or right margin of the screen.  Right click and select Properties.  Turn on "Use Small taskbar buttons".  Doing this you can put a surprising number of application shortcuts on the taskbar.  You can also access them using the Win Key and a number key signifying their position on the taskbar.

When things are bad, you can either:
- cuss,
- cry or
- laugh ...

Why not choose to laugh

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, unfortunately MS does not agree. Fortunately other smarter people think the same way.

In Win 8 MS REALLY wanted the "start scream" <sic> to be the be all end all.  It wasn't.

Eventually we learned how to bypass the start screen and work on the desktop. But we no longer had the star menu.  So other companies stepped in to remedy the deficiency.  One of those companies is Stardock.  They made a utility called "Fences" for Win 8 and upgraded it for WIn 10. 

Stardock Fences allows you to put "fences", like corals, on the Windows desktop.  You can drop shortcuts into these fences. They stay put there. You can drag the fences around and even minimize them. They have a free trial. Give it a try. There are other similar tools, but none of them worked quite the way I want them to.

(I don't work for them)

PS, if you have a high def screen you can try an alternate approach. Drag the taskbar to left or right margin of the screen.  Right click and select Properties.  Turn on "Use Small taskbar buttons".  Doing this you can put a surprising number of application shortcuts on the taskbar.  You can also access them using the Win Key and a number key signifying their position on the taskbar.

I can't talk about Stardock Fences as I have not tried the program but regarding the task bar for me it is self-defeating.  Up until Window 8.1 I used both the Office 2003 shortcut bar above the screen for all my short cuts and the task bar below the screen for very common short cuts.  Would prefer to keep such a desktop configuration going rather than sacrificing the Task bar and moving it to the side,

Sorry this didn't help.

Neither of those suggestions satisfy my preference.  I need a tiny shortcut bar that I can place where I want without sacrificing the normal toolbar in the normal place on the bottom of the screen.  (FWIW, if I recall correctly, Fences doesn't allow you to shrink the thickness of the fence to almost zero or shrink the shortcut icons to tiny size.) 

Shouldn't be hard for someone to create such a toolbar from scratch if they know anything about Windows 10 programming.

Sorry this didn't help.

In the case of Windows 10 I cannot launch any shortcut programs from the tool bar and receive instead the error message: "Cannot run this program or open this file".  I am really looking for a work around this program including the possibility of using any other toolbar which will work with Windows 10.

It's true that left-clicking on the shortcut bar icons will give you that error message under Win 10.  However, if you *right*-click on the icon you get a standard drop-down/context menu, at the top of which is Open, and clicking on that will open the program normally, so in effect it just takes one more click than before to get things going.  My only trouble is that two weeks after figuring it out, half the time I'm still automatically left-clicking and getting the error message.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes indeed the "right-click" option has also been my work around this problem for quite a while.  And I agree it is messy as the first move is always to "left-click" thereby receiving the dreaded error. Now related to this is the fact that on originally upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 the specific icons relating to programs on the toolbar seemed to remain "intact" for some reason or other they have all ended up as question marks.  Now it seems impossible to get the icons back even by refreshing the icons on the toolbar ie by right-clicking the toolbar.  Luckily on moving the mouse cursor underneath the question mark (in question) it informs me of the name of the program.  Yes I have already indicated - all very messy.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes indeed the "right-click" option has also been my work around this problem for quite a while.  And I agree it is messy as the first move is always to "left-click" thereby receiving the dreaded error. Now related to this is the fact that on originally upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 the specific icons relating to programs on the toolbar seemed to remain "intact" for some reason or other they have all ended up as question marks.  Now it seems impossible to get the icons back even by refreshing the icons on the toolbar ie by right-clicking the toolbar.  Luckily on moving the mouse cursor underneath the question mark (in question) it informs me of the name of the program.  Yes I have already indicated - all very messy.
As an update to my previous post, and as a solution to the case of the missing icons, I've just come across a recommendation by SydneyGeek at <http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/general-excel-discussion-other-questions/588792-office-2010-how-create-shortcut-bar.html>.  He recommends FreeBar at <https://sourceforge.net/projects/freebar/?source=typ_redirect> as a substitute for the MS Office Shortcut Bar.  I've tried it, and it works fine.  It looks and operates just the same as the Shortcut Bar, and the icons are all firmly in place.  I have 4 computers (laptops and desktops) at home, all running Win 10, and the Shortcut Bar on two of them turned the icons into question marks, though they stayed OK on the other two.  With FreeBar they're all OK, and of course I don't have to remember to right-click the icons any more.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wish I knew of that before, but I've found the Winstep Nexus Dock to be a pretty good substitute, too.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3231 Last updated: December 21, 2017 Applies to: