Microsoft Office Losing NTFS Permissions and Ownership

Hello,

The issue I am having is difficult to replicate. Several users' files completely lose NTFS permissions and ownership after saving or making a change to a Word document or PowerPoint file (I assume Excel as well, but we do not use it that much). If they try to save the file again or try to open it from "Recent Documents", they receive a message that says "File could not be located or Access Denied". Once the permissions and ownership is lost, it looks as though the file was deleted. In reality, they just can't see it because they don't have permissions.

The only way to recover it is for me to login to the file server. I then have to locate the file and take ownership as an administrator. Once I take ownership and add even just 1 account back to the security, all of the original permissions repopulate and everything is fine.

From looking at my Object Audits, it appears that when the user saves the file, the temporary file that is created does not copy over the permissions from the original file, thus resulting in lost persmissions.

This has only happened ever since we installed new desktop computers with Windows 10 and Office 2016. I have also upgraded our File Server from 2008 to 2012.

I believe this has something to do with Office 2016 because the computers with that version are primarily used by our students, who are the ones experiencing the issue. Our teachers and staff use Windows 7 and Office 2013 and have not had any issues.

Is there any way to prevent the temporary file created when saving from losing all of the permissions and ownership from the original file?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Stephens,

To address your issue on NTFS permissions, may we know the type of permission that was set on each affected files? For further isolation, have you tried using Office 2016 on a Windows 7 machine?

Regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Below is a captured image of the permissions that are on each and every file (I blocked out the full name of the user and our domain). I also have captured images of files that are currently affected by the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

As for Office 2016 on Windows 7, I do have a select few computers with it installed, but have yet to have any issues with them. The only files affected are Office files. I haven't seen this happening with any 3rd party files or any files outside of Office.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this issue being caused by only one user on the network? Can you play around with a dummy file, and change permission settings to that file for a particular user/s, who can still edit and save the file, and see if changing it will make a difference?

There's a forum where this same thing happened, but it is Office for Mac.

Check it out and see if the answer will be applicable to you: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/1ec48f37-fffa-48eb-8acb-486d7e83df58/ntfs-permissions-changed-on-2008-r2-file-server-when-file-is-modified-by-mac?forum=winserverfiles

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I did had the same Issue on my DFS Server

In order to keep NTFS rights on my file, i had to put rights on the folder where the file was located and active inheritance on files and subfolders

If i just put rights on the file, every new save of the file in office was changing the rights of the file from those of the folder because the owner of the file was changing at this very moment

hope, this will help

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

this problems starts in our environment, too.

Did you ever find a solution for that?

Thanks in advance

regards

/bkpfast

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm experiencing the same problem with a few users on Windows 7 and Office 2016 when saving to a network share.

The file just loses all permissions and I have to claim ownership as administrator and reapply the permissions. 

This is the first post I've found with someone else having the same issue. My problem is I can't always replicate the issue when I need to, it seems to be random.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

it's a mess.
We can mostly reproduce the Problem but what we have found out:

- It only happens with existing files never with new created ones

- It only happens with files that are placed directly in the root of the permissions tree

When you create a sub folder and place the file there it does not happen

regards

/bkpfast

Sorry this didn't help.

I noticed something strange this morning after creating some folders to move files into to test what you are seeing. I created the folders on the server and moved the files and then accessed the share via UNC from my workstation, and what I saw did not match the contents of the folder. I hit refresh and nothing happened, after about 5 mins I hit refresh again and the folders were the same.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

check behavior monitoring in your antivirus solution.

regards

/bkpfast

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2020 Views 6,142 Applies to: