We’re working to make help more helpful

When you click a Help link in Word, we want to take you to helpful information. Sometimes we have a clear idea of what people are looking for, like how to use the Format Painter. But sometimes we don’t yet have an article that meets your needs.

In those cases, please use this discussion to tell us what you’re looking for. What were you working on in Word, and what information did you expect in Help?

Not only is this discussion an opportunity for you to get an answer to your question, it’s also a way for us to learn how to improve Word Help. Thanks for helping!

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Really?

Yes "you" guys really broke F1. Nice that you are finally trying to fix it.

But this seems like an awfully slow way of collecting feedback since 99.998% of users have no idea that this forum exists, let alone how to find this discussion.

Better idea, roll out an update to <F1> so that the UI includes a link to this discussion  and description of it in the pop up.

Granted many of the suggestions will have rather blue language <g> because people are frustrated by the state of "help", but at least you would get a lot more feedback that way.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
Leonardo Da Vinci
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler”.
Albert Einstein

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

This discussion is for targeted feedback, so we're linking here from a very narrow selection of specific topics. So far, no takers... people have been opting for the "Was this helpful" route of sending feedback instead. And we do get a high volume of feedback that way, which we use to direct our efforts in improving not just Help, but the overall app experiences as well.

This discussion, on the other hand, is intended to be very focused, and interactive as well. By posting here, people have an opportunity to get their question answered at the same time they're providing feedback. A win-win.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, looks like you aren't getting any feedback here.

How about getting a moderator to PIN this question so it stays on the first page. Of course it must NOT be locked ... <G>

I'll start including a link to the question on any question I think may you may get some feedback.

Leonardo Da Vinci
Albert Einstein

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh! Thanks for the offer (to link), but the purpose of this thread really is for feedback that's contextual to a very few, targeted scenarios, which link directly here.

For general questions and volume of feedback, better options are to start a new discussion, use "Was this helpful" in Help articles, and to use Feedback options in the File menu in Office 2016 apps.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh! Thanks for the offer (to link), but the purpose of this thread really is for feedback that's contextual to a very few, targeted scenarios, which link directly here.

For general questions and volume of feedback, better options are to start a new discussion, use "Was this helpful" in Help articles, and to use Feedback options in the File menu in Office 2016 apps.

It's in the general forum so it's not really "targeted" at all. I found it browsing the forums.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, here is one for you.

Font dialog > Advanced tab. 

I need/want descriptions of the 5 new "OpenType Features" and how to best use them. 

I want to know how to identify which of the options are built in to the current font. Is there some tool I can use to see the options.  I would like to know if there are more than one version of option in the font, ie more than one contextual alternative ligature.

Basically, these features are built in, but HIDDEN in the fonts so they are not being used.

Leonardo Da Vinci
Albert Einstein

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So put the 'discussion' under a Word forum instead of Office > Unknown/other > Windows 10 > Office 365. Why hide it here where it will seen by few of the targeted users?

DavidF

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It looks like you could use Adobe's Typekit to get to this info -- or at least, more than you get by iterating the different options in the Font dialog in Word. To really see what's in the font, I think you'd need something like Adobe's InDesign.

Here's a link to OpenType info for Typekit.

And here's a link to more general info about OpenType, on Adobe's site.

The help topic that's linked to from Font dialog > Advanced links to the OpenType FAQ, but I'm thinking it might be more useful to go to that more general OpenType page instead.  

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It looks like you could use Adobe's Typekit to get to this info -- or at least, more than you get by iterating the different options in the Font dialog in Word. To really see what's in the font, I think you'd need something like Adobe's InDesign.

Here's a link to OpenType info for Typekit.

And here's a link to more general info about OpenType, on Adobe's site.

The help topic that's linked to from Font dialog > Advanced links to the OpenType FAQ, but I'm thinking it might be more useful to go to that more general OpenType page instead.  

But the user is in Word so they should be able to find the information by looking in Words help, not Adobes. From the point of view off the Word user, how would they even know to look to Adobe for the information?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I took a look at Adobe Typekit.  It appears to only provide summary information. It is a step in the right direction.  I also took a look  Adobe InDesign.  That has a feature that is closer to what I'm looking for. But it also costs $20/month <grin>.

I agree, I would like to find a summary of the information in the Adobe links in Word Help, but I have no objection to Word help including links to Adobe pages with more detailed information.

So I'm hoping the "new & improved" help associated with the Font dialog will tell me how in Word I can take advantage of the various features on the Advanced tab. Starting with how in Word I can identify what characters in a font have additional features so I can figure out if I want to use any of them ... Or do the pro's do it some other way?

Frankly I can't imagine more than one or two people using any of those OpenType advanced features. Only someone who already knows what is in the font.  That is one user statistic I would be interested in seeing.

Leonardo Da Vinci
Albert Einstein

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 6, 2020 Views 272 Applies to: