Change Save As behavior in Office 365 ProPlus

This question was posted previously here but not answered properly as I have the same question.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/quick-access-as-default-when-saving-a-word/2a3bcd5e-096a-4f40-bebb-1ff7d6a82ada

When hitting F12 to save as in office or hitting save as and then clicking browse to get to the previous save as dialog box, the default behavior highlights the Network location on the left side of the window.  This defeats one of the major benefits of having "quick" access if I have to scroll all the way to the top of the window every time to get to my frequently used locations.  This worked flawlessly in previous versions of Windows and Office with the Favorites feature.

I know that the default save location can be changed in the settings and I don't need to change that, I just want to change the behavior of the save as dialog box to focus on the top of the list rather than the bottom.  The previous post mentions that that user had it default to the "This PC" location which is third on the list of four options so there is obviously something driving this behavior.  I have four options in the following order:

Quick access

Microsoft Word

This PC

Network

Is there any way to change this behavior as it is not intuitive at all and to me defeats the purpose of creating Quick access locations in the first place?

This behavior is the same across Office applications and I'm using Office 365 ProPlus, Version 1808 (Build 10730.20280)

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2019 Views 31 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for your query in this community.

Unfortunately, this behavior is as MVP Stefan explained in the thread you provided.

If you open a saved document in Office, when you click F12 or go File > Save as, it will direct you to the exact path where you saved this file. However, if you create a new file in Office, it will go to the path you have set in the File > Options > Save. This is an expected behavior and might not be able to change.

In this scenario, I have 2 workarounds for your current situation:

1.Although it's not feasible to stick the left navigation panel to the top every time you use the Save as function. You could use PageUp button to help you scroll to the top quickly.

2.Since the Quick Access folder doesn't have an actual path, it's not feasible to set it as the default location in the Save options, however, you could manually create a folder and add the folder in the Quick access as a short cut in this new folder. After that, set the default save location to this new folder.

Meanwhile, if you have a strong concern on this, I would kindly suggest you submit your feedback via the following method:

How do I give feedback on Microsoft Office?

Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Alex Chen

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.