Office 2016 - Has stopped working error message

I am running Office 2016 Professional Plus (16.0.633.2036) on Windows 10 Pro (1511 Os Build 10586.36).

If I have, for example, Word already open I can select a Word file (either in Doc format or DocX) via file Open command and it will open with no error message. Like wise if I double click on a Word File (situated on my desktop) the file will open with no error message.

If, however I try to open a file located anywhere else on my C: drive or on the second internal drive I: I receive the message:

When I click 'close the program' it closes the error message but the document opens in Word.

The same message appears using Excel; same scenario.

I have tried repairing Office, both off-line & on-line; but the error is constant.

Is there any way to resolve this error or if I wish to open any document/excel file will I have to ensure that the program is open first?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

Please provide more information before we proceed.

-If you copy and paste the document which is causing this problem to desktop and open will it open?

Let's disable the add-ins by following steps mentioned below and determine the if it is causing by any add-in:

a) Click on File menu, click Options, Add-ins, Go button besides Manage: Com-in Add.
b) Check if there are add-ins listed, clear the checkbox.
c) Close the Office program and restart it and verify the result.

If Word or Excel works fine then disable each add-in one at a time, restart the Word or Excel, and repeat the above procedure. If the issue reappears again, it will help you to determine which add-in is causing this issue.

You may also refer to the following article.

https://support.office.com/en-in/article/Why-do-I-get-a-stopped-working-message-when-I-start-my-Office-application-52bd7985-4e99-4a35-84c8-2d9b8301a2fa

Hope the above information helps. Try the suggestions and let me know the result at your earliest
convenience.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Vardhaman S,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

All Word files, on my secondary drive, have the error when 'double-clicking' to open.

I have tried cutting and pasting one file from I: to my desktop; same error message.

Disabling add-ins has no effect.

I have discovered that if I save a Word file on my desktop, I can open it by double-clicking on it with no error. Obviously I have no wish to clutter up my desktop with word files.

The same situation occurs with Excel files.

The only difference I can ascertain with the files is that when I examine the Security Properties (under Group or user names), the Files on my Secondary Drive (I:) contain an entry for 'Account Unknown (S-1-5-21-1071907116-957372423-2378122410-1004) whereas the files saved to my desktop do not have this Group or User name listed under the Security Properties.

Any further suggestions?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for reply.

Let's try following steps to take ownership of drive and verify the result.

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive you want to take ownership of, then select

“Properties” from drop-down menu:

2. Click on the Security>Advanced>Change.

3. Type your user name or everyone in Enter the object name to select text box and press Ok.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with the result and I'll be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

That 'unknown Account' should resolve to something like **\Users

If you start Word, within Word open a doc located on the external does it then open with no fuss?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Vardhaman S,

Thank you for your suggestion; I have followed your instructions.

The 'Account Unknown' is not now shown; however all the Word files, on my secondary drive, still have the error when 'double-clicking' to open.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Palcouk,

Yes, if I start Word and then open a doc located on my secondary drive it opens with no error message.

Exactly the same scenario with Excel.

Strangely, I appear to have no problem/error message opening a Publisher File by double-clicking on my secondary drive.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2019 Views 792 Applies to: