Saving a publication as a pdf messes with the transparent background area of image

I am trying to remove the background surrounding an image so that it will blend in with the publications background.
I have tried the following...
  • edit original jpg in photoshop, remove background save as png or gif
  • use the original jpg in publisher and then use the "set transparent color" pen on the background.
Both work such that my publication looks fine within publisher and prints fine to paper.   But when I try to save it as a pdf the "transparent" area shows up black instead of being transparent.

when saving If I check "warn about transparency and color" in the options it does complain that object has transparency but does not explain how to fix the problem.

Is there a solution or way around this?

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2019 Views 7,946 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

From: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_other/in-publisher-2010-save-as-pdf-causes-png-pictures/b1ca8dad-3776-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

"...I finally discovered that the problem was arising only when I had "ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A)" selected under the PDF Options. Deselecting that option causes the image to be displayed correctly. Further investigation shows that transparency in objects is forbidden in "ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A)" formatted documents..."

DavidF

45 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.