OneNote can't sign in

I'm trying to reload a shared OneNote Notebook on my desktop (Windows 7), but I am receiving this message:  "We are unable to connect right now.  Please check your network and try again."

I'm online, my Outlook is syncing just fine, and I can access the notebook through Office 365 (through the web).

A few more details:

1. The OneNote Notebook is a shared notebook through my team's security group on O365.  It had stopped syncing a week ago, so I closed it locally.

2.  Last week my O365 account also prompted me to update my password, which I did (I can't remember whether this was before or after I noticed the problem).

3.  I encounter the error through both ways I know to open the Notebook locally:  

a. opening the notebook through O365 and then clicking 'edit in OneNote', and

b. opening OneNote locally and then clicking Open in the menu tabs (from there I see "Sign In", which I click... and then get the error.

Thanks for any suggestions!  I need my Team OneNote!

Laura

Hi LB_Sea,

You can try the options below to check the outcome:
Option1. Open OneNote>File>Account>Switch account>enter your account again and sign in. Check if you can open that notebook (File>Open in OneNote or "...">Open in OneNote from cloud).
Option2. Open Control Panel> Credential Manager>remove Microsoft related credentials in both Windows Credentials and Web Credentials>restart your computer and open OneNote to sign into your work/school account. Check the result.

If the issue persists, please open OneNote>File>Account>capture a screenshot of that page. Moreover, let us know if other users can open this notebook on their personal computers.

Best regards,
Tim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Tim,

Thank you so much for your suggestions, but unfortunately neither works.  In both cases I hit the 'unable to connect' error pop-up window.

It seems like the machine things that I'm no longer online, but I am most definitely online.  Is there another definition to 'network'?  It also seems like this may be tied to broader Windows/MS connectivity issues, because I have been prompted a couple of times to enter my credentials in a more generic 'enter your address' window, which also results in the same error.  I'm attaching a screenshot.

Also -- the other members of the team security group are syncing locally and can access it just fine.  I can access it via O365 online, too.

I'm hopeful for alternate suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

Laura

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your reply.

I suggest you follow the steps below to check the result.

1.  Open IE > Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites > add the following url:
https://*.sharepoint.com/
https://*.microsoftonline.com/

2.  To check if the issue is related to the Office 365 account, I have sent you a test account by private message (PM). You can try the test account to see the result. Also, please provide your Office account to us, we would like to check if your environment has enabled Single sign-on and reduce the scope of the root cause.

Please check the PM via the link below
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

Regards,
Linda

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Laura,

We appreciate your efforts to troubleshoot the issue. Let focus on the OneNote sign in issue first, once the issue resolved, we will move on to the OneNote file can’t open issue.

After reviewing the whole thread, let's summary the situation as below first. For any misunderstanding, please correct me.

============

Symptom:

You are unable to sign in OneNote 2016 with error message: We are unable to connect right now. Please check our network and try again later.

Completed troubleshooting steps:

1. The issue only occurs to you in your organization.

2. Only OneNote 2016 is affected.

3. Tried removing Office related credentials in Credential Manage - No luck.

4. Login with the test account we provided – The issue persists.

5. Add the https://*.sharepoint.com/ and https://*.microsoftonline.com/ to Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer.

============

According to all the information above, can you confirm some additional information to help to identify the issue?

1. Check if you have enabled any proxy connection on the computer, you may follow the steps to do so:

1) Open Internet Explorer.

2) Click on Tools > Internet Option > Connection tab > LAN Settings > Uncheck the box which Use a Proxy Server for your LAN > OK.

2. Try resetting Internet Explorer via the following article and see the outcome:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17441/windows-internet-explorer-change-reset-settings

3. Capture some logs. You could check and respond to it via the link below:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

Please post back if you have any updates.

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just closing the loop on this thread, I ended up wiping my machine clean over the weekend -- and upgrading to Windows 10.  It was clear that I was having more connectivity/account issues than just OneNote.

Thank you for your efforts,

Laura

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your updates.

Could you let us know whether OneNote works properly now? If not, could you try the steps above and provide the related log to us so we can further investigate?

Moreover, regarding “I was having more connectivity/account issues”, are the issues related to Office 365 services? If so, could you provide more details about it such as some related screenshot?

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Laura,

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 1,373 Applies to: