Question

Q: Onenote 2016 We need the password to sync this notebook. (Error code: 0xE4010647)

I have 2 PCS that exhibit the same things for all current Notebooks as well as all newly created Notebooks.

Windows 7 with Office 2016 fully updated.

Windows 10 with Office 2016 fully updated.

I have tried signing out, signing back in. I have attempted removing credentials and reading them. Nothing seems to work, I am able to access them online with no issues. This started happening today at work when Windows 10 performed an update which waited until after work to reboot. I noticed the issue start at approx. 3:00 PM PST. Out of ideas at this point, but am open to suggestions.

Regards,

Tom

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same issue as of today.  Seems the moons are not aligned to allow OneNote to sync properly :(. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Add your thoughts to my thread please.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Thomas,

It's possible that the cached version of the password is causing the OneNote sync error. To resolve this concern, delete the cached Office credentials by following the steps below after closing all Office apps:

For Windows 10

1. Click Start.

2. Type Credential Manager.

3. Press Enter.

4. Click Windows Credentials.

5. Under Generic Credentials, look for MicrosoftOffice16_Data:live:cid=.

6. Click Remove.

7. Restart your computer.

8. Launch OneNote and enter your credentials.

For Windows 7

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Click User Account and Family Safety.

3. Click Credential Manager.

4. Follow steps 4-8 above.

Let us know if OneNote syncs successfully after following these steps.

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Nope -- tried all of these. This is a new bug that just started around Aug 10 as well...  I have the same issues as Thomas and Joostvh. Jeez, how hard can it be to fix sync?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's weird... cause around or past midnight it started working again. 

I uninstalled the latest cumulative patch and then re-installed it, also I ran an Office update also sent a bunch of diagnostics to the OneNote team.

However other machines are still not quite right.  Have gone through the complete clearing of all cached passwords for the onenote sync and still has issues. 

this morning on one of my machines now getting different error We're sorry, something went wrong during sync. We'll try again later. (Error code: 0xE000002E)

Different... making some progress.

It feels like the back-end was changed/fixed/something last night that caused this to happen and now it's either back to what it was before or something else.  Be curious what it was. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

We are aware of this issue and are investigating.  It appears that for some customers there has been a resolution.  I will keep you informed.

Denise

OneNote Team

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello--

The outage has been resolved.  Let me know if you still get this error message.

Denise

OneNote Team

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried applying the steps outlined for Windows 10 and still am getting the error "We need the password to sync this notebook. (Error code: 0xE4010647)"

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Denise,

I have same issue on the Onenote 2016/Window 10. Onenote/Window are up to date. 

The solution to delete the credential does not work with my machine.

Do you have any recommendation?

Regards,

Duc

Sorry this didn't help.

I am getting the error "We need the password to sync this notebook. (Error code: 0x52E)" 

Kindly please suggest the next steps 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,244 Last updated: April 26, 2018 Applies to: