OneNote 2013 data recovery-Who can read OneNote BIN and onecache files?

Hello OneNote folks!

To make a long story short, it appears that I lost a single page from one section of one of my OneNote notebooks.  I've searched high and low within the computer and my personal OneDrive and have not found it.  However, I do have some BIN and onecache files on the PC where I think it might be.  

I'm looking for a OneNote guru who can address the problem at this deep level of the OneNote software.

(Sorry, I do not need MS OneNote user articles about finding lost files unless they involve the BIN and onecache files.)

I have a simple setup: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 PC with Windows 8.1.  Using a retail installation of Office 2013 with OneNote.  I have a personal OneDrive account that was backing up some of my PC's notebooks.  The section/page file was lost when I disconnected this notebook from OneDrive.  As I said, it's a long story.

Help or references to others would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Answer
Answer

I received a OneNote pop-up that said, "We couldn't open that location.  It might not exist or you might not have permission to open it."  

This message irritates me. Maybe we have a problem with the path to the renamed cache file. Onenote can open files or folders.

The linked article is not that clear concerning the path:

An old MS Support article mentioning /forcerepair talks about a file as target:

Bernd

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2020 Views 1,081 Applies to: