How to download OneNote 2016?

Hello-

I have Office 365 and a Mac. However, I use OneNote a lot and would strongly prefer OneNote 2016. So, I set up a Windows 10 virtual machine in Virtualbox. Unfortunately, every time I click "download OneNote 2016" on the Microsoft site, all I get is an Office download that leaves me with Office 365. All I want is OneNote 2016 on this virtual machine. I don't care about the rest of Office 365 or any other Office products on it. Can I get just OneNote 2016, and where can I download it? Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

OneNote 2016 is missing after installing Office 2019 or Office 365 – link to manual install

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/onenote-2016-is-missing-after-installing-office-2019-or-office-365-1844ba87-7248-4bd8-a735-66a52f98e6e5

After installing Microsoft Office 2019 or Office 365 on a PC running any edition of Windows 10, OneNote 2016 appears to be missing from the list of installed desktop applications.

Background

On computers running Windows 10, the new OneNote for Windows 10 app is the recommended version of OneNote. This version is pre-installed on most editions of Windows 10 and can be found by clicking OneNote on the Windows Start menu.

Tip: To learn more, see What’s the difference between OneNote and OneNote 2016?

By default, Office 2019 and Office 365 will not automatically install the OneNote 2016 desktop version, but if you still need or prefer to use this version, you can download it separately and use it alongside your new Office 2019 apps.

Resolution

If you are using a 32-bit edition of Microsoft Office:

1.            Install and activate your edition of Microsoft Office 2019 or Office 365.

2.            Click here to download the 32-bit edition of OneNote 2016 for Windows.
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2024197

If you are using a 64-bit edition of Microsoft Office:

1.            Install and activate your edition of Microsoft Office 2019 or Office 365.

2.            Click here to download the 64-bit edition of OneNote 2016 for Windows.
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2024446

If you’re unsure whether you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office, download the 32-bit version. Alternately, you can determine which version of Office you have by following these steps:

1.            Start Microsoft Word 2019, create a blank document, and then click File > Account > About Word.

2.            In the dialog box that opens, note whether your edition of Office is 32-bit or 64-bit. This information appears at the end of the first line of text which confirms the product name, version, and your installed edition of Office.

3.            Click OK, and then exit Word 2019.

After you’ve finished downloading and installing OneNote 2016, it should be automatically associated (or re-associated) with your currently installed Microsoft Office license.

Note: If you downloaded and installed OneNote 2016 before you install and activate Office 2019 or Office 365, then the license that appears in OneNote 2016 will display as “Home and Student.” Once you’ve activated your edition of Office and then restart OneNote 2016, the license associated with Office will be added to OneNote 2016 as a second license, even though the default license will still display as “Home and Student.” As long as your edition of Office is properly activated, OneNote 2016 will have all of the capabilities that require an Office license.

OneNote Downloads

https://www.onenote.com/download/win32/x86/en-us   Office 2016 (I think)

http://www.onenote.com/Download  OneNote UWP/Win10 (I think)

Also available on

Windows Store                Windows Phone                 Mac                    

iPad                      iPhone                  Android                               Web

One Note 2013

x86

https://c2rsetup.officeapps.live.com/c2r/download.aspx?productReleaseID=OneNoteRetail&platform=X86&language=en-US&version=O15GA

x64

https://c2rsetup.officeapps.live.com/c2r/download.aspx?productReleaseID=OneNoteRetail&platform=X64&language=en-US&version=O15GA

iso

http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/39168D7E-077B-48E7-872C-B232C3E72675/media/en-US/OneNoteRetail.img

OneNote 2013

OneNoteRetail.img

Office OneNote 2010 / 2007

wiki- Use Free MS 2007 Sharepoint Designer – You need MODI and / or Picture Manager for use with Microsoft Office 2010/2013/2016

These 3 links all say the same thing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/where-is-picture-manager-58837c3e-34db-4904-95e8-4eca7b7c5730

2016 05 01 NOTE: this user says he is no longer able to install picture manager after 2016 is installed … <sigh> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-office_install/office-picture-manager/d39903a8-b07a-4354-a8b6-b4df30db2abc?page=2&msgId=20aded0a-90eb-43ac-88f5-64e34026457e

This is a very hot topic. In 15 months a question on the topic had 127,000 views and 440 helpful votes:

If you just want MODI or Picture Manager 2007 or OneNote 2007,  you can start the SharePoint installation process then select the “Custom” install option. This will allow you to deselect SharePoint and any other product you do not want wasting space on your machine.

Download SharePoint Designer 2007  https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=21581  - Do a “Customize install” to select SharePoint / MODI (under Office Tools) / OneNote  / or select only “Picture Manger” if that is what you want.

Note: the free download of SharePoint Designer 2007 includes a few surprising extras:

·    ·          OneNote 2007

·    ·          MODI- MS Office Document Imaging

·    ·          MS Office Picture Manager

·    ·          Office Shared Features > Clip Organizer (Clipart)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16631 - SharePoint 2010 180 trial

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=16573 - SharePoint 2010 Designer

NOTE: when one person ran that download it did not include OneNote. I redownloaded and ran it and did see it. We never did resolve what the cause was.

Here are instructions on how to do a Custom install of only selected items from Office setup:

·          ·          Install or remove individual Office programs and components

·          ·          http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/install-or-remove-individual-office-programs-and-components-HA010354261.aspx (Select only “Picture Manger” if that is what you want.)

Note: 2007 version is Free and includes MODI. 2010 version does NOT include it (don’t know if it is free).

************* Bonus Reading *****************

2018 04 19- Here’s how to move your OneNote 2016 local notebooks to OneDrive, a new feature

https://www.onmsft.com/news/heres-how-to-move-your-onenote-2016-local-notebooks-to-onedrive-a-new-feature

If you still prefer to use OneNote 2016 over the new OneNote UWP app, Microsoft announced some bad news yesterday. Later this year, OneNote for Windows 10 will replace OneNote desktop in Office 2019 and become the most up-to-date version of OneNote.

OneNote 2016 will remain available and be supported through October 2025, but it will no longer receive new features going forward. However, you may continue to use the legacy app if you still need some of its features, such as the ability to store notebooks on your local hard drive instead of the cloud.

If you do use local notebooks and want to make the transition from OneNote 2016 to OneNote for Windows 10 though, the process isn’t exactly intuitive. OneNote for Windows 10 only supports notebooks that are stored on OneDrive, OneDrive for Business or SharePoint, and you can’t use it to open local notebooks. But as noted by OneNote MVP Marjolein Hoekstra (who is behind the OneNote Central Twitter account), OneNote for Windows 10 can now move local notebooks to OneDrive for you. This is apparently a new feature that quietly rolled out last week:

MS Propaganda: What's the difference between OneNote UWP and OneNote 2016?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-s-the-difference-between-onenote-and-onenote-2016-a624e692-b78b-4c09-b07f-46181958118f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

OneNote 2016 OneNote for Windows 10

OneNote for Windows 10 (simply labeled “OneNote”) is the best and most up-to-date version of OneNote on Windows. It was designed to feel natural with any input method — from mouse and keyboard to pen and touch — and it contains numerous improvements for better performance, battery life, and reliability.

OneNote for Windows 10 also has a number of features that are not available in OneNote 2016 — including ink effects with a dramatically improved ink-to-text option, Researcher, a notification center, deep integration with Windows 10, and much more.

OneNote for Windows 10 comes pre-installed on every version of Windows 10, and it’s included in Office 365 and Office 2019.

By comparison, OneNote 2016 is the original Windows version of OneNote, which came with Office 2016 and earlier. It has some legacy functionality that might be important if you use this version at work or school, but OneNote 2016 is no longer being updated with new features.

Microsoft recommends using OneNote for Windows 10, but OneNote 2016 is still optionally available for anyone who needs it — especially if you have locally stored notebooks or are running an old version of Windows. (If you are still running Windows 7 or Windows 8, the recommended and most up-to-date OneNote experience on those versions is OneNote Online, the Web version of OneNote.)

OneNote for Windows 10

OneNote for Windows 10 is used by millions of people across the globe. It is regularly updated with the newest functionality, security, and Accessibility improvements, and it’s the only Windows version of OneNote that offers our customizable new interface that’s now consistent with OneNote for Mac, iOS (iPhone and iPad), Android (phones and tablets) and OneNote Online (the Web version of OneNote) for a truly universal user experience.

While we’d love for you to start using OneNote for Windows 10 today, we know some of you might not be ready yet. Maybe your work or school relies on a feature that isn’t yet supported on Windows 10, or you don’t want to store your notebooks in the cloud. If so, you’re more than welcome to continue using OneNote 2016, but please note that it is no longer being updated with new features.

OneNote for Windows 10 comes included with every edition of Windows 10, as well as Office 365 and Office 2019. However, OneNote 2016 is still optionally available for those who need it, and it can be used side-by-side with the newer Windows 10 app.

If you’re on Windows 10 and have Office 2016 or earlier, there’s a good chance you have both versions of OneNote installed on your computer. You can designate either version to be your default app for opening OneNote links and files. Learn how to change the default version of OneNote.

You can also choose to pin either (or both) app icons to the Windows taskbar and Start menu by following the steps below.

To pin to Start

·             The OneNote (for Windows 10) app icon is already pinned to the Windows 10 Start menu by default.

To pin to the taskbar

1.            Click the Windows Start button.

2.            Type onenote, right-click the OneNote (for Windows 10) app icon when it appears in the search results list, and then click Pin to taskbar.

Note: If you right-click the OneNote icon in the alphabetical list of your installed apps instead of the search results list, you may need to first click More before clicking Pin to taskbar.

Features available only in OneNote for Windows 10

OneNote for Windows 10 has an increasing number of features that are not available in OneNote 2016, including:

·             Move across devices and platforms with ease, thanks to a new look designed for simplicity, consistency, and accessibility on Windows 10, Mac, iOS, Android, and Web

·             Quickly access your notes with a faster and more reliable sync engine (coming soon!)

·             Mark key information and find it later with tags and tag search. Tags you create will now roam with you to any device you have, and OneNote will even show you tags other people have used in a shared notebook (coming soon!)

·             See live previews of Office files in OneNote, work together on attached documents, and save space in your notebooks with cloud files (coming soon!)

·             Easily share notes with any app using the Share button

·             Ensure your notes are more accessible with the improved Accessibility Checker, designed to catch many commonly found issues based on the WCAG standard and user feedback

·             View all your notes sorted by when you last updated them

·             Check the Notification Center to see what’s changed in your open and recent notebooks

·             See who’s working with you in a shared notebook and jump straight to the page they’re on

·             Improve reading comprehension with Immersive Reader

·             Use Researcher to find relevant quotes, citable sources, and images to start your outline

·             Write or type an equation, and OneNote will help you graph or solve it step-by-step with the Ink Math Assistant

·             Customize your favorite pens and sync them across OneNote, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on your Windows PCs and iOS devices

·             Use pencil ink to draw or sketch (requires the free Windows 10 Anniversary Update)

·             Jazz up your notes and annotations with new ink colors like rainbow, galaxy, gold, and more

·             Convert handwritten ink to typed text with retained color and style formatting

·             Got a new Surface Pen? Tilt it to add shading to drawings in OneNote, just like with a real pencil

·             Transform your drawings into shapes automatically

·             Draw straight lines and measure distance on touch screens with the virtual ruler

·             Use your device’s camera to capture documents, whiteboards, receipts, and more right into OneNote

·             Quickly find ribbon and menu commands and related Help content with Tell Me search

·             Replay your handwriting forward and backward to hide and reveal content, to provide step-by-step instructions, or to better understand the flow of others’ thoughts

·             Maximize drawing space by hiding the page list and ribbon

·             Pin your favorite pages to the Start menu for easy access

·             Click the button on a digital pen to open OneNote, even when your device is locked

·             Write on a web page in Microsoft Edge and save your annotations to OneNote

·             Tell Cortana to take a note for you with your voice

Tip: For a chronological list of monthly feature additions and improvements, see What’s new in OneNote for Windows 10.

Features currently available only in OneNote 2016

While the new OneNote app is the best experience for Windows users, you might need to continue using OneNote 2016 for the time being if your work or school relies on any of these features:

·             Create Outlook Tasks in your notes

·             Pin your favorite commands to the Quick Access Toolbar

·             Apply a template to pages to maintain a specific look or layout

·             Record video

·             Link your notes to webpages in Internet Explorer and Office files

·             Store notebooks on your local hard drive instead of in the cloud, including backups

·             Support for third-party COM add-ins

Additional information

·             OneNote for Windows 10 is regularly updated, which means you can expect to see new and improved features every month. To see what’s recently been added and improved, see What’s new in OneNote for Windows 10.

·             OneNote 2016 is no longer being updated with new features. We will continue supporting the app with important bug fixes and security updates through the end of support for Office 2016, which runs until October 2020 for mainstream support and October 2025 for extended support.

·             Got a favorite feature in OneNote 2016 that you’d like to see in OneNote for Windows 10? Let us know on OneNote UserVoice. We’re constantly improving the Windows 10 app and your feedback helps to influence what we’re working on next.

Save random strangers
Stay Home

Stay COVID Safe

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have an easier solution Rohn007, having just done this myself:

https://www.onenote.com/Download 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This installed OneNote not OneNote 2016

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I have used that link successfully on three devices. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Evidence ?

I don't believe it 😋

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello-

I have Office 365 and a Mac. However, I use OneNote a lot and would strongly prefer OneNote 2016. So, I set up a Windows 10 virtual machine in Virtualbox. Unfortunately, every time I click "download OneNote 2016" on the Microsoft site, all I get is an Office download that leaves me with Office 365. All I want is OneNote 2016 on this virtual machine. I don't care about the rest of Office 365 or any other Office products on it. Can I get just OneNote 2016, and where can I download it? Thanks.

W

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The message is misleading. Only OneNote will be installed.

Bernd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I remember that happened when I downloaded it, too: it looked like I was getting the whole office suite instead of just OneNote 2016. But I went through the install, anyway, and ended up with what I wanted---OneNote 2016.

That having been said, I already had the full Office Suite installed, so it may not work for you the same. 

Jerry 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To the best of my knowledge, that link will only install OneNote, ignoring the other applications.

Ignore the misleading message “OneNote is already installed on Windows 10” and click the right link to the desktop version

Save random strangers
Stay Home

Stay COVID Safe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2021 Views 12,183 Applies to: