I hate Windows 10 OneNote!

After migrating from Evernote to OneNote 2016, I loved it.  I loved the functionality, I loved the looks of it, and I loved the ease of use.

I set up a new computer this weekend and downloaded Office 365 -- with Windows 10 OneNote.  This is the clunkiest, ugliest, most exasperating software.  No templates.  Stupid slider whatever that makes flipping from one section to another infuriating.  I miss my tabs!

What in the world was Microsoft thinking??  I really hate this.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You can still get OneNote 2016 (for free on Microsoft's website) -- they purposely don't advertise that so they can drive people to use the Windows 10 version (driving them insane every step of the way). ;o)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/install-or-reinstall-onenote-2016-for-windows-c08068d8-b517-4464-9ff2-132cb9c45c08

I feel your pain -- and I have exhaustively expressed my disgust at what they are doing. Even though I still have what I want, I'm writing to defend what is ours -- the excellence that Microsoft once delivered and is not trying to rob of us so that we'll settle with having to use their built-in version (which is a poor knockoff at best).

I've had a bit of a debate with a gentleman who put out a video on comparing the two versions -- and I'm going to take everyone's input from this thread and paste it into the commentary for that video. He's got connections with OneNote people at Microsoft -- and we need to keep pounding them for this preposterous decision: https://youtu.be/S5hLShifujw

Lemme know if you have any questions -- and THANK YOU for sharing your rage!! :o)

P.S. It sounds to me like you've got some serious stuff going on. Here's an excerpt from my YouTube commentary that I'm sure you'll appreciate:

And therein lies the point -- which is at the end of your reply:  "I only need it for email out really these days..."

I have mountains of materials throughout 34 notebooks (not to mention the ones I don't have on my desktop right now).

OneNote was life-altering for me -- an ability to organize material in ways I never imagined. I have succeeded in ways that I could not have without it. Plenty of other people can do without (and do better in some areas) -- but I'm not those people. I'm not offended that you say I'm "stubborn" in my view -- I'm simply saying that "I only need it for email out really these days" cannot be compared to the sheer volume of material I work with.

Whenever I've tried to promote the idea of using OneNote -- I've told people that it intrinsically trains your mind to think more structurally. At the heart of that is its "3 dimensional" layout (where I have all my open notebooks/sections/groups along the left, sections on top, and the pages on the right (which can have a bit of a hierarchy with sub-pages -- which you can't do in Windows 10 OneNote).

I can see my entire universe of interests at a glance in the real OneNote -- whereas Windows 10 turns it into a glorified version of Word. That version is bland -- with a toy-like ribbon and a whiteout of emptiness ( way too much open space that I don't need). Whereas with the real OneNote -- my eyes are trained on what I"m doing (and I can efficiently navigate to wherever I wanna go, because it's all in front me).

So I don't care what other good features it might have -- when it robs me of what matters most (which is the essence of the entire tool in the place).

After migrating from Evernote to OneNote 2016, I loved it.  I loved the functionality, I loved the looks of it, and I loved the ease of use.

I set up a new computer this weekend and downloaded Office 365 -- with Windows 10 OneNote.  This is the clunkiest, ugliest, most exasperating software.  No templates.  Stupid slider whatever that makes flipping from one section to another infuriating.  I miss my tabs!

I have been using OneNote for years.  Recently, I began using it for Genealogy and it was just a wonderful program for that.  There are numerous Genealogy blogs and websites that promote the use of OneNote for research in genealogy, as well as record management. But I have to agree with everyone else on this.  It breaks my heart but OneNote has been ruined by Microsoft.  It is now clunky; waiting for files to open and populate is dependent on wifi connections on my pc (which suck thanks to Bell Canada), I can't organize my notebooks in any meaningful way - they are just icons on a page in alphabetical order.  With Genealogy there is a specific order - ie: fathers fathers family, fathers mothers family, mothers fathers family and mothers mothers family - definately NOT alphabetical order.  That for my purposes ends its usefulness for me.   But I have to add everything seems to want to type in a table.  Why???? I truly hate Microsoft and all its products.  

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

OMG!!  I am the original poster of this thread.  I had come to terms with Windows 10 OneNote and learned to really like it absent a couple of features. 

Today.... I open it and Microsoft has ruined it once again.  I no longer can reduce the size of the window and have the lists of notebooks, sections, and pages "slide" in and have only the page I'm working with show.  Now I have to have this much larger window with all the lists of notebooks, sections, and pages showing.  WTH!

Microsoft, if you're trying to make stupid changes in hopes that we'll all just get rid of this software .... you're doing a great job.

I really do not understand why you can't leave well enough alone.  Stop messing with the stupid program!  Sheesh!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Why did microsoft change, i’m so frustrated, im an early adopter and love new tech, but what the heck microsoft.... you took away so many features and made it so hard to navigate.  My biggest frustration is Tables... when i right click in my table i lost the functionality to add or delete, insert above or below... tables were my favorite feature to keep my stuff labeled, searchable and organized. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft... what have you done... im a d engineer at Honda R&D we use One note to keep everything per project development organized, this new format screws everything up...  I think we will have to migrate away if this new OneNote of this new win10 version does not change.  Especially the tables... we lost the ability to right click and add rows and columns 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Ben. 

Thank you for sharing your disgust that we all feel! 

You can still get OneNote 2016 for free off of Microsoft’s site. They don’t exactly advertise that — so that they can steer people to their “toddler-level” toy (i borrowed “toddler level” from another poster. 

Anyway, I’ve provided that link a couple times on here (it should be on the first page). 

Lemme know if you have any questions. 

Microsoft... what have you done... im a d engineer at Honda R&D we use One note to keep everything per project development organized, this new format screws everything up...  I think we will have to migrate away if this new OneNote of this new win10 version does not change.  Especially the tables... we lost the ability to right click and add rows and columns 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What is Microsoft doing??  

After my May 16 rant about the larger-size window, it returned to normal a few days later.  So I was a happy camper again.  Today I open it and I have the larger window -- again! 

I have two monitors, but I still juggle my screen real estate.  I do NOT need OneNote taking up more of it because of Microsoft's stupidity.

STOP messing around, Microsoft!  Just.stop.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel your pain, Beverly. But please remind me -- with these frustrations, why are you still using that Windows 10 version when you can install OneNote 2016?

What is Microsoft doing??  

After my May 16 rant about the larger-size window, it returned to normal a few days later.  So I was a happy camper again.  Today I open it and I have the larger window -- again! 

I have two monitors, but I still juggle my screen real estate.  I do NOT need OneNote taking up more of it because of Microsoft's stupidity.

STOP messing around, Microsoft!  Just.stop.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Because I've gotten used to the layout and like it. lol  Plus, is OneNote 2016 supported?  I really don't want to go backwards to OneNote 2016 and then Microsoft finally get its act together and fix Windows 10 version.  And how would I know it had been fixed?  *sigh*

So I'll put up with the inane changes and hope devs gets its act together soon -- and come here and vent. ;)  (Y'all just ignore the rants. lol)

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2020 Views 1,352 Applies to: