Question

Q: OneNote 2016; Windows 10 "OneNote needs a password to sync this notebook. This thread is locked from future replies

Just installed Office 2016 ProPlus volume licensing on two computers. A new Surface Book and a machine with Office 2013 O365 uninstalled and 2016 ProPlus reinstalled. Notebooks installed on both continually display "OneNote needs a password to sync this notebook" if the notebook is located on a SharePoint site. Both machines appear to sync correctly to a OneDrive associated with a Microsoft ID (also the machine log-in for both machines). All the problematic notebooks have the same Office 365 corporate (E3) log-in.

Please help.

Thx

PS.

I need the 2016 ProPlus volume license rather than O365 so my Visio 2016 and Project 2016 will work (Why is beyond my comprehension other than marketing/licensing tricks)

Hi Bob,

We understand how you feel about the situation. Let me guide you to resolve the issue.

Follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

1. Control Panel> User Accounts> Click Manage your credentials on the left.

2. Notice the Microsoft Office credential at the bottom.

3. Click on the drop down to make more information.

4. Click Remove from vault.

5. After it is removed, you want to close Microsoft OneNote, and reopen it.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and I’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Hi Bob,

We understand how you feel about the situation. Let me guide you to resolve the issue.

Follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

1. Control Panel> User Accounts> Click Manage your credentials on the left.

2. Notice the Microsoft Office credential at the bottom.

3. Click on the drop down to make more information.

4. Click Remove from vault.

5. After it is removed, you want to close Microsoft OneNote, and reopen it.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and I’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

1. I did a full repair of Office
  2. I had multiple Microsoft Office credentials both 15 & 16
  3. I removed them all
  4. It didn't help same issue

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

You won't address multiple Microsoft Office credentials both 15 & 16.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to do this several times a week with my Windows 8.1 and 2013 OneNote. Is there anyway to fix this? It seems ridiculous that I have to keep doing this just to keep it synced. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here.  Still have the problem

Sorry this didn't help.

We have OneNote notebooks hosted on an on-premise SharePoint site.  Our laptops, laptop login, and SharePoint site are all in the same active directory domain, but we were still getting queried for the SharePoint login every time we opened OneNote.

That was just inconvenient under Windows 7, but with Windows 10 it became debilitating due to what seems to be an interaction bug between recent versions of Windows 10 and OneNote where, after OneNote prompts for password, the mouse no longer works within a note.  The mouse works for selecting OneNote pages and using OneNote menus, but not within the note itself, until the next time you launch OneNote.

Deleting Office credentials via Credential Manager didn't work for me, but what did work for us was adding the SharePoint URL to Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer, which allowed the laptop login credential to pass through, eliminating the explicit password queries.

Internet Explorer, Gear icon, Internet Options, Security tab, Trusted Sites icon, Sites button, add the SharePoint URL as an https URL, Close, OK, quit IE, restart OneNote, and it no longer prompts for password.

-Drew

Sorry this didn't help.

11 people were helped by this reply

Hi, How do you know what the Share URL is?

For example, do I copy the Url of one of my notebooks or?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3048 Last updated: February 22, 2018 Applies to: