OneNote Web Clipper coudn't sign in

I don't know what is happen, but I couldn't use my OneNote Web Clipper on Google Chrome any more. Every time I try to use it I receive a message: "We could't sign you in. Please try again". And then, when I try again, I receive the same message again!

What is going on?

Please help me!

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated December 14, 2018 Views 1,942 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi there! Thanks for reporting this issue!  We've been actively working on the OneNote Web Clipper and unfortunately there's been a couple of cases where sign-in wasn't working quite right.  But, we believe we have tracked down all the remaining issues and should have a fix deployed in the next day or so.  I'll reply to this again once this fix is out.

Thanks!

-Chad

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I wanted to let you know that the fix for this was deployed this morning.  At this point we believe all of the sign-in issues have been worked out, so if you are still hitting problems please let us know.  Note that this change does not require an extension update, though there is one (3.0.4) coming out today to fix some other issues.

Thanks!
-Chad

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, I wanted to circle back on this just in case you were still hitting problems.  We have been working on stabilizing the sign in experience and found a couple more issues that have now been fixed.  The most recent version of the web clipper contains all the changes, so if you have been unable to sign in, if you could try again and let us know we would be grateful.

Thanks!

-Chad

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm seeing the same sign in issue with the OneNote Web Clipper add-on for Firefox. I'm running version 49.0.1. Running Windows 10 version 1607 (OS Build 14393.87). OneNote Web Clipper was working fine until the most recent update a day or so ago. I'm trying to sign on with a Microsoft account with 2 factor authentication. I approve the sign in but I continually get the error message, We couldn't sign you in. Please try again". Please advise on the fix. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey @pnwpnw, thanks for reaching out to us on this.  Could you do something for me?  Could you please try signing in again and after it fails, press ALT-SHIFT and click the "Feedback" button in the bottom left corner?  That will bring up a dialog with some information about your session that we can use to try and track down what's going on.  If you hit CTRL-C with the dialog up it will copy the information in it to the clipboard.

Thanks much,

-Chad

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't paste the result here. CTRL-C didn't work also. Should I just type it all in here?

Not sure if it matters, but I’ve also disabled all my other Add-ons as I read a comment that there might be a conflict? But frankly, this problem only appeared after the recent Windows10 update to my current version.

If I try to sign in again to the Clipper on the same webpage using a Microsoft account I get a blank pop up page – it is titled about:blank – Mozilla Firefox, it appears for only a few seconds then goes away, then back to the same error message again from the Clipper. What’s truly puzzling is that I’m logged in to login.live.com at the same time and if I choose to print the webpage, I can save the webpage to OneNote. Just the Clipper is not working.

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting.  I won't make you type all, but how would you feel about sending a screenshot of just the dialog?

When you click the sign in button, and it launches a window that then immediately goes away, it means that from the authentication service's perspective, you're already signed in.  What we need to figure out is why the clipper doesn't seem to know that. :-(

Here's another possibility.  We only write one cookie in the web clipper, and that one cookie is unfortunately critical to the authentication process.  Is there a chance that something is blocking that cookie from being written?  For example, if you had third-party cookies disabled in Firefox, or some kind of cookie blocker installed then it would cause this problem.  If that turns out to be the case, then adding the "https://www.onenote.com" domain to the exceptions list should allow the cookie to be written and unblock things.

Thanks for your patience with this.

-Chad

Sorry this didn't help.

This box won't let me paste the screenshot. I'll just type out the dialog.

The page at moz-extension://3650b570-7c9d-4c33-abdf-e39215cdf59 says:

Firefox Extension: 3.2.4

ID: ON-f60f6146-3f21-4d7a-b226-84915c7a9ea5

Usid: 1888623f-b9e9-b0ed-6195-44cd023446cf

(the 3rd line above is different each time, I think?)

Added the URL to the allowed sites in Firefox. Still didn't work.

As I said, I turned off all the other add-ons.

Appreciate your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

This box won't let me paste the screenshot. I'll just type out the dialog.

This Button is for pictures/screenshots:

Sorry this didn't help.

got it. but no need. I typed out the full text of the dialog box. waiting for Chad's response.

Sorry this didn't help.