OneNote Online search not working

One of THE GREATEST search engines ever is how OneNote searches through all its Notebooks. I rarely use OneNote online, but I have started using it more lately, but it seems the search functionality doesn't work AT ALL. When you get to OneNote it first goes to the Notebooks page, it shows the Notebooks in the middle of the screen and there is a "Search my notebooks" input box in the upper right, but no matter what I search for it always says "No search results found".

So I pick one of the Notebooks instead and figure OK I know it is in this Notebook I will give it a head start. So I get to the Notebook and click the Search spy glass, it goes to a search box and displays "Notebooks" (I guess that is where it is looking) and try searching from there. When I do the search it finds several places that the item is found (yay) but when I then click on those found places it says "Sorry, OneNote can't open this link." (not yay) It gives the same result for every search. I thought maybe change that drop down to "Section" or "Page" and search that way instead, but that just results in the spinning 'I'm trying' icon constantly and it never returns any results. Doesn't matter which browser I use, all the same things happen. Tried IE, Edge, Chrome, FireFox and tried on several different computers on OSs Win7, Win8 & Win10, all the same results.

Anyone know how to search OneNote online and get effective usable results?

Hi JefferyHall,

We appreciate you raising this concern to our attention. We understand that you're having trouble with searching your notes in OneNote Online. Let's get this sorted out.

Just to confirm, we would like to know if the issue occurs when you search a different notebook? Also, are you subscribed to am Office 365 subscription?

We tried searching a notebook here in our OneNote Online and it's working as expected. If the problem only occurs to a specific notebook, you may try re-creating that notebook and check if you'll experience the same behavior.

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Everyone is having this issue with the online version of OneNote.  The issue is that the OneNote app allows a user to globally search through an entire notebook or multiple notebooks.  Currently, it appears that the online version allows the searching of only a page or a section.  This is a major 'Fail' on Microsoft's part and should be corrected as soon as possible.

167 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2024 Views 2,261 Applies to: