Using the Send to OneNote Tool

Summary
Explains how to use the different features in the Send to OneNote tool for OneNote 2013. Basic skills required.
Details

This is a picture of the Send to OneNote tool for OneNote 2013:

If the "Start with OneNote" box is checked, this window will open every time you open OneNote; otherwise it will stay hidden in the hidden icons section of the taskbar.  The number in the parenthesis means to press that key in combination with the Windows key to activate that command by keyboard.  The other way to activate that command is to click the box directly.  The "Exit" link closes the window, although the tool is still active behind the scenes.

Taking Screen Clippings:

Once you activate the screen clipping command, you can drag a box over the area of the screen you wish to copy:

When you release the cursor, a window will open asking you what you want to do with the clipping:

Use this tool to copy the clipping where you want it in OneNote, or use the "Copy to Clipboard" option to extract the clipping without sending it to OneNote.  You will then have to paste it into Word, Paint, or another tool that can handle pasting and PNG files so you don't lose it when you restart your computer or when you copy something else.

Sending to OneNote:

This option allows you to send material that you have highlighted - such as text, links, and pictures - directly to OneNote and keep the current formatting, so text is still editable text and links can still be opened.  This feature's shortcut is broken in Windows 8 because Windows-D is used to show the desktop.  When you use this feature, the same window mentioned above will ask you where to place the data.

New Quick Notes:

Using this feature will create a new quick note and place it in the Quick Notes tab in the list of your notebooks.  This is what a new quick note will look like as you are creating it:

Just type your note and close the window.  OneNote saves it and places it in the correct place without further help.

Helpful links:

OneNote Blog.

The Future of the Windows-S Shortcut.

OneNote 2013 Forums.

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

This article includes nothing about how to re-establish my HP Deskjet D1520 printer as the default printer and how to remove "sent to onenote" as my currrent default printer which I had no hand in changing to in the first place.   

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

This article includes nothing about how to re-establish my HP Deskjet D1520 printer as the default printer and how to remove "sent to onenote" as my currrent default printer which I had no hand in changing to in the first place.   

Assuming you are using win7, Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Right Click on your Printer > Select 'Set as Default'

See  if it works..

2 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

what if you made a horrible error and accepted windows10 wiping out trusty windows7 and it is too late to go back without being fleeced?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where is the "Start with OneNote" checkbox?  If I knew where that was, this article might be helpful.  Else, it is just a new frustration in the level of non-support.

17 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is really amazing

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I accidentally SET my OneNote (2013) version to ALWAYS send everything I send from now until forever to a page in one of my Notebooks. It's ok for now, because I am still using THAT PARTICULAR notebook, although still cumbersome. In the future, no matter what notebook I set up, everything will be sent to that one page in that one notebook that I am sure to forget where to find...

How can I UNDO that command. It is now grayed out (Send to OneNote (D)) and I can't figure out how to correct that error. Can anyone out there help me?

THANKS in advance!

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You'll find the settings in File -> Options -> Send to OneNote

Bernd

Sorry this didn't help.

Where is the "Start with OneNote" checkbox?  If I knew where that was, this article might be helpful.  Else, it is just a new frustration in the level of non-support.

I have exactly the same problem. When I attempt to us this extension, I get a completely different set of options that are completely different than what ":Hosch250, Article Author" demonstrates in this presentation. Maybe I am using a different version because what I see is not at all the same.

So far, this has been a sad waste of my time.

Sorry this didn't help.

This article is 10 years old !

And about the 10 years old version of OneNote 2013. The described GUI doesn't exist in the current version of OneNote from Office (we don't talk about OneNote for Windows 10).

This current version should have this icon

in the taskbar/sytem tray.

If not, set this check mark in Options:

If you still doesn't see it look here:

http://www.onenotegem.com/a/documents/gem-menu-for-onenote-uwp/2019/1122/733.html

To learn what it does right click it and you'll see 😉

Bernd

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 29,010 Applies to: