Can't create new notebook in OneNote for Mac Preview

I downloaded the Office for Mac 2016 Preview to my Mac (OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite) and want to start using OneNote.  The app launches fine and I get the initial "New / Open / Recent" window.  Also, OneNote has signed in to the Office 365 account fine (I've also tried signing out and signing back in).  All th other Office for Mac Preview apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) run fine and I can see my OneDrive accounts.

When I choose to make a new notebook, I can select a color, give it a name, but the "Where:" dropdown fails to populate.  I can never select where the notebook should live and so the "Create" button never undithers so I can click it.

I've tried navigating to the Open and Recent notebooks, and I can see my Office 365 account OneDrives:  the one for my organization, my person OneDrive, and DropBox (which says it is not working).  I can even open a sample notebook that shows what OneNote can do.  But, I cannot create any new notebooks.

• Is this an issue with OneNote being able to see my OneDrive / Office 365 storage locations?
  • Do I need to enable Sharepoint for my organization just to store notebooks?  (I'd rather not because I don't use Sharepoint but I would use OneDrive, or better yet, Dropbox.)
  • Is this a limitation to the preview version?
  • How can I start creating notebooks?

I'd really like to get this resolved because I think the new Office for Mac is beautiful, and want to start demo-ing it to my clients, including the new PowerBI app.  But, it's got to work first!  Thanks for your help!

Answer
Answer

I just ran in to this same problem myself with whatever the latest Office365 version is.  I got it to work by choosing the "Sign Out..." item from the OneNote menu in the OneNote application and then signed back in (signs in to your Microsoft.com account, not sure what the OneNote account is that is mentioned above!).

After I signed back it the location menu was populated and I was able to create a new notebook (on my onedrive - personal).

237 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2021 Views 66,160 Applies to: