Why is OneDrive for business so incredibly slow?!?

Ok,

So my internet connection is 25Mbit Down, 6Mbit up, and my speedtest.net results (WHILE onedrive was syncing I should add) :

This is running on a Windows 7 x64 windows on a Core i7 with 24GB of Ram and SSD's for hard drives. I've completely uninstalled my AV, and the windows firewall is completely disabled (I own an enterprise class firewall, so it is not needed anyway).

My onedrive client (onedrive.exe) says version: Version 2015 (build 17.3.6390.0509), and its only syncing our business data (I don't have onedrive for home).

I am trying to sync ~3000 files for a total of 3.2 GB, so far after 4 hours, I've uploaded only 363MB.

This is absurd.

Before someone from Microsoft responds with a canned message, yes I've read your article Maximize upload and download speed . It is a useless article (and a bit of a cop-out response).

Please admit to your incredibly slow speed, and then proceed to fix the actual (and obvious) network problems you are having at sustaining fast speeds across your onedrive storage network.

Hi Spyruleup,

Regarding the issue, please check the following information:
1. As you mentioned the PC is behind the enterprise class firewall, Please make sure it won't affect OneDrive for Business.
You can check the endpoints which should be included in your outbound allow lists.

2. You can upload the files in another way to check the upload speed. For example, drag & drop files from your File Explorer to the OneDrive for Business library page.
If it works fine, the issue might be related to the OneDrive for Business sync client itself.
You can either disconnect your account and re-connect it, or re-install the app to give it a shot.

Please let us know the updates for further assistance.

Thanks,
Jim

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Yes, I've already added the necessary parts of that list to my firewall.  

Also, I should note that it was slow downloading, not uploading (I havn't actually uploaded anything from this pc), and second this same speed issue was happening at two separate locations.

This was also a fresh install on a pc that's never had Onedrive installed, so its unlikely to be an account corruption (unless the installer is garbage and needs refactoring on its installation tracking).

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Spyruleup,

Regarding the slow download speed, as you are using the Next-Generation OneDrive for Business sync client, I would suggest you use the selective sync to separately download the content to the local as download large files at one time may cause the low speed performance.

In addition, you can also use the Open with Explorer option(IE browser) to copy the files stored in the cloud to the local synced folder to see whether the speed issue is caused by the client. Moreover, doing this will also help syncing the cloud content to the local synced folder.

Regards,

Allan

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well whats interesting is that I took the same files once they completed (took almost 12hrs), dropped them into Dropbox, and they sync'd in 40 minutes flat. I then did a test with Google Drive, and again, it was about 40 minutes to sync the files.

I don't care what excuse MS is using, they are going to get eaten alive by the competition if they don't improve the general speed of the services. Someone is overthinking this sync process (and have over-coded the solution, as per the norm with MS), and/or they are throttling the clients who arn't paying extra for OneDrive's extra storage.

However, with speeds this slow, there is no incentive to go to more capacity if it will take you 3 years to sync it all.

sorry that this has turned into a rant, but the speeds are ridiculous.

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Spyruleup,

I apologize for the frustrations you experienced and will share them with management so we can take steps to improve. At Microsoft, we are committed to continuous improvement. Thanks for taking the time to let us know what happened.

Regards,

Allan

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While you are sharing this with management, please remind them that this issue is not isolated to uploading bulk items.

OneDrive is - for better or for worse - at the center of Microsoft's productivity workflow across devices. I use a MacBook, an iPad pro and iPhone and use Microsoft Office on them all. PowerPoint and OneNote are outstanding products on the iPad. I like to use the iPad with handwriting to draft slides, mark up documents and take notes. These then sync back to my other devices - MacBook and iPhone. 

OneDrive is very slow even to open a single document. It can take more than a minute to open a powerpoint presentation. And the sync works about half the time.

My subscription includes 1Tb of OneDrive. I would be happy to pay the same amount for zero OneDrive and good support for Google Drive, even without support for multi-user sync, which doesn't really work anyway.

Not only because our Sun will die before I could upload 1Tb to OneDrive, but because it would be a lot easier for me to keep all my documents in one place. If OneDrive was fast (and supported normal file names), I could drop Google Drive. I would be happy either way. 

Thanks for your help 

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I **** hate ONE DRIVE.  Still waiting for my files to download.....can't work for ****....

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I dropped Google and OneDrive because they were so slow.  The stupid OneDrive is slow even at work. It's five minutes to pull up files at home, and I'm running a fast connection.  OneDrive really sucks.  Always has. Dear MS: Be faster and better.  In the meantime I will still pay for dropbox. 

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Linda,

If the above suggestions cannot work for your issue, I suggest you open a new thread with your detailed situation to troubleshot it better. We will try our best to support.

Thanks,
Linda

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2021 Views 11,682 Applies to: