OneDrive shares - Excel sharing error

I've got some weird sharing issues going on.

I have a document uploaded in OneDrive, and if I go to the OneDrive Portal I can easily share the documents. For some reason, some computer cannot share that same document through the "Share" button in Excel.

It just pops up with a "Sharing Error" dialog box, and it says, the invitation could not be sent to the email address.

Within OneDrive I can share it with that same user here in the company, so I am not sure why the desktop application cannot. I signed out of Office 365 within Excel itself and logged back in again with the work account, but it makes no difference.

I'm not quite sure where to begin with no relevant information as to why Excel won't share.

Hi Jrmoat,

Firstly we need to clarify your current situation:
1. I assume you refer to the OneDrive for Business library rather than your personal OneDrive (using a Microsoft account).
2. The issue happens when you open an Excel file in your OneDrive for Business local synced folder.

If it is not the case please correct me.
If so, based on my test, it will require saving the file to an online location (you can click Save As and double click OneDrive - yourcompany) then you'll be able to add the internal user accounts and share this file. You can share more detailed steps you did before the error appears so that we can investigate it for you.

Meanwhile, I'd like to collect more information:
a. Does it happen to other Office files/applications?
b. Regarding "some computers...", are you using your own account all the time? If you switch to another account and share an Excel file in his OneDrive for Business library, will the issue happens again?

Thanks,
Jim

--------------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Jim,

1. You are correct, this is the OneDrive for Business library. The file is located in a user's OneDrive library (He either uploads the files manually to the Office 365 Portal -- or he may be using the OneDrive Desktop application to sync it. I need to verify with him, I just think he now opens up Excel and it remembers the path to the OneDrive for Business libary).

So yes, this is an Office 365 user account and a OneDrive for Business library.

2. This issue happens only when you open the file in Excel. So, you can go to the Office 365 Portal, then to OneDrive and locate the file. If you click the three ...s, you can select "Open in Excel" and it will launch Excel 2016 on the computer.

This is where the problem occurs. When clicking the Share button, you can pull up any other Office 365 user in the company from the address book (It's the correct account, since Skype/Lync also show that that user is currently using Skype for Business/Lync).

Regardless of whether you select the user from the address book, or type in the e-mail address (even clicking the user when it auto populates the names when you start typing), it immediately comes up with the sharing error when you try to send it. 

I even tried to change the document from "Edit" to "View Only" to see if I could bump it out of this odd issue, but it remained the same.

a). I'll have to have him try a different program, other than Excel. I don't know if he has tried Powerpoint, Word.

b). Yes, this employee is using his account all the time. However, I did notice at one time he was also signed in with a @gmail.com account. When the problem first started I had him sign out of both his work account, and then his gmail.com account in Excel.

He then signed back in only with his Office 365 work account.

It kind of makes me wonder if I need to delete his other account credentials from the Credential Manager in Windows. Or at least try signing in with a different account.

To me, I thought the same... I felt like it couldn't share, because it was trying to share with his personal account. But, signing out of them both, and signing back in only with the Office 365 account should have worked.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jrmoat,

Thanks for your detailed clarification.

To troubleshoot it, could you perform the following method to see the outcome.

1. Removing all the stored credentials in the credentials manager (Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials). (NOTE: This will remove the stored passwords.)

2. Run regedit as administrator ->from Registry Editor, browse to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity, and then delete the Identity folder. (This is for Office 2016, for Office 2013, please replace 16.0 with 15.0)

3. Run the Online repair to repair the Office client.

If the issue persists, would you provide the following information for further troubleshooting?

1. The version of your Office client. Go to an Office application > FILE > Account > Product Information.

2. A full screenshot about the error message for our reference.

Regards,

Allan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jrmoat,

Do you need further assistance? Could you share any update about the situation?

Regards,
Allan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2023 Views 2,961 Applies to: