When is Microsoft going to fix OneDrive when a computer image is restored?

This is a clearly repeatable massive flaw in OneDrive that makes its use in business so dangerous...

A few days ago, I had a big sort out of my OneDrive folder structure - deleted lots of documents and folders and, more importantly, moved things around, created new folders, moved files into their etc. General housekeeping.

My main PC a new build with a new Ryzen 3000 CPU and motherboard - where everything is a bit fresh and therefore a little unstable. NOTE: this is nothing to do with the bug I'm reporting here but just setting the scene. Today I installed the latest AMD Radeon driver and I wasn't happy with the installation - as I said, new build.

So I restored my PC to an image I took on 9th September - an image created by Macrium Reflect. This is a pretty common scenario in development and test environments. Same thing might happen if you use virtual machines and restore an earlier snapshot.

The flaw: this restored version of OneDrive (only a few weeks old) decided it was the master (!) and undid all those changes I'd made above - it restored OneDrive back to the 9th September. This is a horrible bug.

Fortunately, in this instance, I spotted it quickly and was able to use the "Restore OneDrive" feature in Office 365 - to restore it back to just before the PC image was restored. But I might not have spotted it for a few days whereby I'd then have out of date stuff melded in with modified files.

This bug is highly repeatable and has been present for several years. 

Needless to say, Google Drive and Dropbox which were also restored in that image did not exhibit the same bug. They have better algorithms for tracking changes obviously.

And please, please, please don't suggest UserVoice... that's for feature requests. This is a massive bug and makes working with images and/or virtual machine snapshots a real risk.

On the couple of occassions I've needed to restore from an image, I have had no issues. Using Acronis TI

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting the query on our forum.

I am very sorry about the inconvenience for you.

As you have synced OneDrive to your computer, there will be a OneDrive folder on your computer.

When you did anything on the OneDrive folder, the changing will be synced to cloud.

Given your situation, as you restore the PC, the OneDrive folder also was restored, then the restored folder has been synced to cloud.

To prevent the situation, I suggest you unlink OneDrive sync before restoring the PC, after it, you can sync OneDrive again, the OneDrive will not be restored:

1. Right click OneDrive icon on the right bottom.

2. Click Settings as below:

3. Click Unlink this PC.

Regards,

Qing

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

>To prevent the situation, I suggest you unlink OneDrive sync before restoring the PC, after it, you can sync OneDrive again, the OneDrive will not be restored:

There is no way to unlink OneDrive before restoring the PC unless you did it before you took the image or virtual machine snapshot. Which is a right faff if you're taking an image/snapshot "just in case" as you have to:

1. Unlink OneDrive
  2. Make the image
  3. Link OneDrive back again

Re the comment about Acronis - it's not a problem with Macrium Reflect - that's just the imaging tool I happen to use. It happens with all imaging tools and virtual machine snapshots.

I've found this post from technet describing exactly the same fault:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/OneDrive-for-Business/Is-OneDrive-Deleting-Newer-Files-After-Backup-Restore/m-p/228811

With the final comment "I'm afraid it will delete the new files online!" - pretty much confirming what I describe is almost by design. And in this case, I would argue the wrong design. If you restore an old computer, why would anyone expect it to restore OneDrive back to that point in time?? 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

I am very sorry about the inconvenience for you, I could understand your feeling.

I also know it is more convenience for you if we can meet it.

I also think it is a good idea, given the situation, we suggest you submit your idea via UserVoice and hope to provide better products and service for you.

It is the best way to let our related team hear your voice.

Thanks for your understanding.

Qing

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2020 Views 195 Applies to: