Connecting Excel file to excel online(OneDrive)

Peace :)

How can I connect between excel file and excel online(OneDrive)? 

I mean, copy as a file and copy online updated with eachother ,both can be edited ,if file excel is edited, the online copy automatically updated, and so if online copy (webaccess-onedrive) is edited, then automatically file copy is updated.

Answer
Answer

Hi ASY966,

Thank your for querying in this forum.

From your description, it seems that you want to linked the file in Excel local with the file stored in OneDrive for business, if you edited the file in Excel local, the file in OneDrive for business will be updated automatically. And if you edited the file in OneDrive for business, the file in the local will also be updated automatically.

May I know if my understanding is right? If so, we’re afraid we may not create a copy file and automatically update data with editing the data on the local, generally, if you copy a file as a copy, this copy file will not be updated with the original file.

We’re sorry that it doesn’t meet your requirement. To address your concern about the situation, we’d suggest you go to OneDrive UserVoice to provide your feedback. This is the best platform to let us hear from you and make our products and services better for you and others.

Generally, you can go to OneDrive for business and create a file, then you can open this Excel file in Excel Online, then you can click Open in Desktop App to open this file in the local. If you edit this file in Excel application, the changes you edited will be synced to OneDrive Online automatically. Since you mentioned you want to create a copy of the file and connect the file which is saved in the local with the file which is saved in OneDrive for business, you can use OneDrive sync client to sync files from OneDrive for business, then you can open the file on the local in Excel client > Data > From workbook to link the file which is stored in OneDrive for business. In this way, if you edit the file in Excel Online, the changes will be updated in the file on the local, however, if you edit the file on the local, the changes will not be synced to the file in OneDrive for business. For more details about OneDrive sync client, you can refer to this article: Sync files with OneDrive in Windows.

If the scenario above is not consistent with yours, you can post back and provide more details about your requirement.

I hope that you are keeping safe and well!

Best Regards,

Sukie

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2021 Views 24 Applies to: