Turn Off "Create Site"/Office 365 Group on OneDrive For Business Web

It appears that an "undocumented" feature slipped into our OneDrive for Business. When a user logs into office.com to access their OneDrive for Business Web Portal they suddenly have the ability to create a time site connected to Office 365 groups just by clicking on the + sign.

This only appears when OneDrive for Business experience is set to "New Experience" and not in "Classic Experience" in the SharePoint Admin Center under "Settings".

Is their some way to get this + sign removed or disabled without having to revert back to "Classic Experience" for OneDrive for Business?

|
Answer
Answer

Update:

Our issue is now resolved. I opened a Portal ticket and was given a PowerShell script to run inside PowerShell ISE:

Import-ModuleMSOnline

$UserCredential=Get-Credential

$Session=New-PSSession-ConfigurationNameMicrosoft.Exchange-ConnectionUrihttps://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/`

-Credential$UserCredential-AuthenticationBasic-AllowRedirection

Import-PSSession$Session

Connect-MsolService-Credential$UserCredential

$GlobalAdmins=Get-MsolRole-RoleName"Company Administrator"

$GlobalAdminsObjectID=$GlobalAdmins.ObjectId.ToString()

$template=Get-MsolAllSettingTemplate|where-object{$_.DisplayName -eq"Group.Unified"}

$setting=$template.CreateSettingsObject()

$setting["EnableGroupCreation"]="false"

$setting["GroupCreationAllowedGroupId"]=$GlobalAdminsObjectID

New-MsolSettings-SettingsObject$setting

Get-OwaMailboxPolicy|?{ $_.IsDefault -eq$true} |Set-OwaMailboxPolicy-GroupCreationEnabled$false

I had seen this posted somewhere else and had tried it and it would error out because the cmdlet "Get-MsolAllSettingTemplate" couldn't be found. I do have "Microsoft Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell" installed which is what I use to manage our Office 365 tenant.

The engineer then gave me a specific MSI file to install on my machine. Ran the script again and it finally worked.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2021 Views 1,812 Applies to: