OneDrive Business folders shared with people inside my organization are empty.

One of our users moved our files up to OneDrive for Business and then shared them with the group.

He copied them, he did not sync them.

I can't see the files but I can see the folder structure via the shared link and when I try to get help from the OneDrive team, my O365 credentials are rejected but, my MBS credentials which are not setup for OneDrive are accepted and I'm not going to make matters worse by setting up a second OneDrive account just to ask a question.

I reviewed a post that mentions don't have + or & in folder/file names; doesn't apply.

Additionally; the user that uploaded the files can see the files only on the system that he uploaded the files from, he cannot see the files from any other system but, he can see the folder structure.

I would have updated the other thread that was very similar to my problem but, my Office365 login was allowed to reply, only jump on the bandwagon.

I am betting that my MBS login, same email address with a different password will be able to reply.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Tim,

Please help confirm the following information to clarify your situation:

1. A screenshot regarding "I can't see the files but I can see the folder structure via the shared link".
2. Please let the user create some new folders and share them to you to see if you can see files in those new folders. This can help determine if the issue is related to the specific folder.
3. Please share a folder in your OneDrive for Business library to others to check if they can see files in the folder.

Regards,
Linda

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I can't send screenshots because my associate has deleted the share and is trying again.

I meant to type I cannot see files but, I can see folders.

Nobody has complained when I have shared a file or folder personally.

I have tagged this thread to the user who is having problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tim,

Have the user created new folders and shared them to you? This can help determine if the issue is related to the specific folder.

Meanwhile, could you provide the sharing guest link to me? To protect your privacy, I have sent you a private message (PM) to collect it. You can check the PM via the link below:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list  

Regards,
Linda

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still a work in progress; 

This is what I have been seeing where I expect files.  However, there are now some folders that have files but, not all of them.

It is inconsistent.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tim,

I would like to summarize the issue which you are having with OneDrive for Business sharing, to avoid any confusion. Please correct me if anything is misunderstood.

One of your users uploaded some files to OneDrive for Business and shared them with one group. However, you can only see the folder structure but not the files in the shared link. This issue only occurs to the folder which shared by the specific user.

Additional, please provide the following information to clarify the situation:

1. Are the affected user using guest link or the invitation mail to share the folder? You can refer to the following article to know the difference between the two methods:

Share SharePoint files or folders in Office 365

2. How did the user upload files to OneDrive for Business, using map network drive, network location or Open with Explorer?

3. More details about “the user can see the uploaded files only on the computer which he uploaded the files but not in other computers”,

1) Can the user see the uploaded files in OneDrive for Business Online? Where did the user cannot see the uploaded files?

2) If the user re-upload the files to OneDrive for Business and share the folder to the group, will the issue persists?

4. Create a new folder and see if you still encounter the same issue.

5. A screenshot about the Disk2vhd folder when the sharer visits OneDrive for Business Online.

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

1.  The top level folder and content is being shared with users in the same Office 365 domain and an email link is being generated to notify them.

2. Explorer, I believe; while I have experienced no issues using hard links to the local OneDrive for Business folder, synchronizing and sharing.  In this instance, the folders have been copied into the local OneDrive for Business folder on the source workstation.

3. At this point, he can see all of his local files but, only some of the OneDrive files and it is inconsitent.

4. I will try to get him to respond.

5. Disk2VHD now has files visible but, there are numerous other folders that remain empty.  Here is another example.

One of your users uploaded some files to OneDrive for Business and shared them with one group. However, you can only see the folder structure but not the files in the shared link. This issue only occurs to the folder which shared by the specific user.

Additional, please provide the following information to clarify the situation:

1. Are the affected user using guest link or the invitation mail to share the folder? You can refer to the following article to know the difference between the two methods:

Share SharePoint files or folders in Office 365

2. How did the user upload files to OneDrive for Business, using map network drive, network location or Open with Explorer?

3. More details about “the user can see the uploaded files only on the computer which he uploaded the files but not in other computers”,

1) Can the user see the uploaded files in OneDrive for Business Online? Where did the user cannot see the uploaded files?

2) If the user re-upload the files to OneDrive for Business and share the folder to the group, will the issue persists?

4. Create a new folder and see if you still encounter the same issue.

5. A screenshot about the Disk2vhd folder when the sharer visits OneDrive for Business Online.

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. To grasp the situation, please share the thread with the user who is having problems in sharing folders and provide the following information. These information are necessary for us to identify the root cause.

1. The detailed steps which he performed to upload the folder.

2. Two screenshot regarding “he can see the files only on the system that he uploaded the files from” and “he cannot see the files from any other system”

3. A screenshot about the Info BW 8.5a folder when the sharer visits OneDrive for Business Online.

4. The number of the items in the affected folder when he uploaded it to OneDrive for Business.

5. Create a new folder with less files and sub folders to see if you still encounter the same issue.

Please keep us posted when you have any updates.

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tim,

Could you clarify the points above so we can understand the situation and better help you?

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

My associate will reply when he has time:  This is what he is now doing to get files up.

He is copying items in small batches and walking away until it is done.

Synchronization never finishes so he has given up on that as a means of getting the files up and available.

He figures it will take him over a week to get it all up and is frustrated.

I have asked him to update this thread but, he is so disgusted, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your updates. Generally, only the files have been uploaded to OneDrive for Business successfully, the shared user can see the content using guest link.

From your description, the user seems encounter problems when uploading folders. If convenient, please involve the user who is having problems in sharing folders in this thread and share the information above with us. This will help us better grasp the situation.

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 921 Applies to: