Linking 2 Excel Files in OneDrive

I use OneDrive to store and share company documents.

I currently have two Excel files, and I would like to link all of the cells from one of the documents to the other. When I try to upload the second file with the linked cells, I receive and error message "Links to external workbooks are not supported and have been disabled". 

How do I link these sheets together?

[Moved from: OneDrive / Working with files and folders on OneDrive / Editing and viewing files and folders / OneDrive in Microsoft Office / Office 365]

|
Answer
Answer

Hi Alexa,

I assume you open the workbook from Excel Online then get the error message.

To explain that, having data linking to a different workbook is the feature only supported for Excel desktop client. For your concern about this feature to work for Excel Online, we would like to suggest you vote this UserVoice: Links between spreadsheets in Excel Online to make our products and services better for you and others. From the UserVoice, it is said that this idea has been added to backlog by the related team.

If you want to use the feature that getting data linking with different workbook, you only can use it in the Excel desktop client app. If you want to use the feature with two workbooks stored online, you can follow the steps below as a workaround:

1. Upload the two workbooks to a document library.
  2. Sync the document library to your local computer.
  3. Open these two workbooks from the local sync folder.
  4. Re-create the data link connection.
  5. In this way, when you open the workbooks on the desktop client, the linked data is also refreshed automatically. And the data will be synced to cloud.

Thanks,

Rena

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

15 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 2, 2021 Views 28,791 Applies to: