Contacting the server for information.

Suddenly, starting today, all of my Office applications are getting locked up with a box that pops up and says "Contacting the server for information".  I haven't changed anything, including installing updates, since yesterday when everything was working fine.  All of the files in question are stored in my OneDrive, which is online and up to date.  I am completely unable to edit and save any documents or spreadsheets as it gets stuck on that screen when I save, and eventually I have to Command+Option+Escape to get out of it.  
Answer
Answer

Hi Carlye,

Thanks for sharing you experience with us.

We suggest you refer to the article below about the scenarios where the error message is displayed and other information.

Why am I getting the message "Contacting the server for information"?

If you are using the new OneDrive sync client(onedrive.exe) to sync Office files which are saved in OneDrive for business, we suggest you try the followings and then check if the error message will disappear:

For Windows, right click the OneDrive icon in the task bar>Settings>Office>untick Use Office 2016 to sync Office files that I open.

For Mac, click the OneDrive icon in the menu>ellipsis>Preferences>untick Use Office 2016 to sync Office files that I open.

After unticking this setting, all files will be synced by OneDrive sync client.

If above doesn't help, we'd like to confirm the following information for troubleshooting:

1.Please share a related screenshot of the error message.

2.Are you using Windows or Mac? Please provide the version of your operation system.

3.The version of your Office. If you can open Office apps, go to File>Account>capture a full screenshot of Product Information and share it with us.

If you cannot open Office apps, you can check Office version in Control Panel>Programs and Features on Windows or Finder>Applications on Mac.

4.Are you using OneDrive sync client? If yes, please provide the version of it.

Regards,

Tina

--------------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

51 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2021 Views 31,746 Applies to: