Onedrive for Business: The Microsoft Office Upload Centre found a problem while accessing the Microsoft Office Document Cache and needs to repair it before it can continue

I have Office 365 Pro Plus, on Windows 10.

On my laptop, I have recently re-installed Windows 10, following a BSOD a few weeks ago, and re-installed Office 365 Pro Plus. I then transferred my files (mostly .docx, .xlsx and .pdf) from an external hard drive, back onto my laptop, and finally, I was in the process of synching my Onedrive for Business folders and files into a new "OneDrive - company name" folder. During the sync process, my laptop cut out, due to a heating issue. Now, I cannot get past the "...Microsoft Office Document Cache and needs to repair it before it can continue" issue.

Each time I start my computer, I am faced with the error message given in the Subject title. Following Microsoft online instructions, I have performed a Clean re-boot, opened Upload Centre, clicked Repair, which completes (but no files are added to the specified folder) and then Clear the Office cache, as advised.

On normal re-boot, I still get the same message appearing.

After logging into my OnderDrive for Business account, I get the same message when I try to use the Sync button.

Would uninstalling Onedrive for Business, then re-installing it, fix the problem? I would prefer to have this problem fixed quickly, without too much trial-and-fail potential solutions. TIA.

Pic. 1.   Error message on Start-up (and when to access ODfB via taskbar icon, and when to Sync from Web):

Pic. 2. All Installed programs:

Edit: the OneDrive for Business icon has disappeared from the System Tray, though the white-coloured cloud (OneDrive) icon remains.

Answer
Answer

Hi Rena.

I was with our Computer Helpdesk in college this morning. For some reason, they did not wish to follow your instructions. However, they did manage to correct the error associated with the Upload Centre.

It seems that deleting the cached files from the Office 2016 Upload Centre, Settings menu, did not delete all of the cached files.

There were many OfficeFileCache (1,2,3 ...etc) folders in the Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0 folder.

When these folders were deleted (Office 365 ProPlus was also re-installed but I am not sure if this was necessary), the Upload Centre had no error, and OneDrive for Business began syncing files again.

I would still like to adopt the new OneDrive sync client. Is there an easier way (for novices) to get and use the new sync client (OneDrive.exe)? These links appear to be helpful:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Which-version-of-OneDrive-am-I-using-19246eae-8a51-490a-8d97-a645c151f2ba?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-started-with-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-in-Windows-615391c4-2bd3-4aae-a42a-858262e42a49#bkmk_alreadysignedin

If I am on the wrong forum, please let me know.

Regards,

Geoff

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 6 Applies to: