Question

OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration flashes a window every hour

rseiler asked on

Is there a really, really good reason that the "OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration" task (see it in Task Scheduler, Microsoft, Office) must run every hour?  This is what it says that it does: "This task initiates Office Background Task Handler, which updates relevant Office data."

I ask, because it runs officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe in such a way that it flashes a window (itself) on the screen. Only instantaneously to be sure, but it's noticeable, especially once you catch onto what's happening. You can run the task manually if you want to see it without waiting.

Why doesn't the task use one of the many tricks to hide a window from displaying?

Insider Fast on Win10.

1315 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Gregory Jensen replied on

( Update 6/7/17 - PaulSey... )
The fix is now available in mainstream builds 16.8210.2075 released on 6/6/17

This issue is fixed starting with build 16.0.8201.2025 which is now available as the latest update for those participating in the Office Insiders Slow program. It will be included in a future update for those not participating in Insiders.

For more information on joining Office Insiders see the Office Insider page.

Thank you everyone for reporting this issue!

99 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
Costas2 replied on
I was in the slow insider ring and all was ok. As soon as I switched to the fast ring this flashing window started to appear every hour.

There are two scheduled tasks un Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Office:

OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerLogon that runs when a user logs on
and
OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration that runs every hour

Both were set to run under the "Users" account group. Since I didn't notice any popup at logon, I set OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration to run under the "System" account and the hourly popups are now hidden. (Select the task, right click, Properties, click on 'Change User Or Group', type 'System', OK twice and voila.)

This is not the best solution from a security point of view, but until MS fixes it, it works for me. 
274 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress